Choachy

MATLAB Deployment Fails with 0x87D00324

Question

I've run into a situation that has stumped me for a day or two. I'm trying to deploy MATLAB R2014b as an application. I've created and deployed many applications, but this one is doing something strange.

The install works perfectly. It insalls successfully, but here is the catch...

As soon as the install begins, Matlab checks for visual C++ redistributables and installs them if they are missing. Since this is the first thing that comes up, SCCM is running the detection method that I've set up, and is reporting failed. Despite the "failed" message in software center with error code 0x87D00324 (which I know means installed but failed detection method check), the Matlab installer continues to run, and finishes perfectly. However, it isnt until you hit retry in software center, or the client automatically tries again that it reports success immediately. Which means the detection method is working, but I believe its failing out of the gate because of the VC++ installers that get kicked off first.

Based on that, I added all 3 of the VC++ runtimes as a dependency so they get installed first. And each of these 3 install fine, and their detection methods have no problems. However, Matlab's insaller is still trying to run them, which causes the software to show as failed, even though it succeeds, and it isnt until the next check that it shows success.

I hope I explained that clear enough.

We are going to deploy it anyway, since it actually installs, and eventually will show success/installed, but my concern is that this could cause problems if used in a task sequence. If SCCM thinks it has failed and you have 'continue on error' checked, since the MATLAB installer is still actually running (its a fairly lengthy install), will installers collide? If you have a reboot coming up, could it interrupt the install? Or even if you dont have continue on error checked, it would then cause a TS to fail? Those are my concerns.

*edit* I'll also mention that my detection method is simple file presence: %ProgramFiles%\MATLAB\R2014b\bin\Matlab.exe exists or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Troy

1 answer to this question

This always happens. As soon as I resort to asking for help by posting on a forum, I find the answer. ;)

FYI, there was another setup.exe buried further in the install source folder structure that skipped the prereq installers. It was located at "bin\win64\setup.exe" for anyone interested. Once I changed to that setup.exe with the exact same arguments and config properties file, all worked perfectly.