masoud

PXE Boot ok, but after load WinPE the client pc reboots

Question

I've setup a new sccm 2012 R2 environment on a WIN 2012 R2 server.

This server hosts the PXE point role and has WDS (only transprt server part) installed.

I imported a bare metal (virtual) pc into the sccm environment and added it to a custom made "PXE Boot" collection.

I then deployed both standard boot images to both the servers and PXE boot distribution point.

I took a win7 x64 dvd (which sits on a fileserver) and created a new OS Image from the install.wim file on the dvd.
This Operating system image was only deployed to the Server distribution point (not to the pxe point).

As OS Install package, I simply added the UNC path to the Win7 x64 dvd on the network and deployed this package to the server DP only (not PXE).

For the task sequence, I took the default x64 boot image and the newly created Operating System image combined with the SCCM client.
This task sequence got advertised to the PXE Boot collection I created in the beginning.

When I boot my bare metal PC and press F12, my computer starts booting from the x64 boot image and gets to the screen "Initializing Windows PE".
In this screen it states: "Windows is starting up", followed by: "preparing network connections".
After that the Initializing Windows PE screen disappears and only the System Center Configuration Manager background is displayed for about 3 seconds, then my pc reboots and prompts me again to network-boot the pc.

5 answers to this question

have you F8 support enabled on boot images....check to see you are getting IP from DHCP server....if you are try ping fqdn of SCCM Management point\PXE server.

Virtual machine should boot and communicate without any drivers so it is possible it is another issue as mentioned.