tacotime

Multiple Task Sequence Issues - Error 0x80004005

I'm very new to task sequences, so please bear with me on this. We're running System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager. I've been scouring the internet trying to fix several issues with the task sequence after recently making some changes. Everything was working fine before this:

I have a new model laptop that I was trying to build a system CAB driver package for using a WMI query. I then added an "Apply Driver Package" step in the task sequence and distributed the content to our distribution points. Validation was successful, but the driver package showed a size of 0 MB in Configuration Manager. After that, anytime I tried to task sequence any model device it would immediately fail with "Could not find the specified drivers". I then removed the system CAB driver package and Apply Driver Package task in the task sequence. Now the task sequence runs, but consistently fails during the "Install Software Updates" process with error code "0x80004005". There are 8 software installations in the first "Install Applications" task, but only one of them actually installs (Microsoft Silverlight). The device is also not joining our domain despite making absolutely no changes to the "Apply Network Settings" task (it is instead joining a workgroup now). Comparing it to previous successfully deployed machines, it is failing at step 25 of 30 steps.

I've attached a screenshot of the Task Sequence, the deployment status of a Dell Latitude E6440 that worked prior to making these changes (Deployment Status - Working I & 2.jpg) and after (Deployment Status - Fail.jpg). I've also included the smsts log. I have absolutely no idea how adding and removing a driver package would've affected this or what to do next. I'd greatly appreciate any help or advice.

post-30854-0-28133700-1439387719_thumb.jpg

post-30854-0-08293800-1439387975_thumb.jpg

post-30854-0-38821900-1439387987_thumb.jpg

post-30854-0-92465800-1439387996_thumb.jpg

smsts-20150811-194038.log

I don't think this is the entire smsts.log.

Keep in mind that once the client is installed, this gets moved to C:\Windows\ccm\logs\smstslog\smsts.log

You should have multiple copies in this directory since your log will likely roll over once.

In your rolled over version of the log (looks like smsts-DateSTamp-TimeStamp.log), check for any errors during the client install. (such as "Timed out waiting for ccmexec service to be fully operational")

Also check the c:\windows\ccm\logs folder for statusagent.log (again, likely the rolled over version of the log). During the time the client got installed (or after a reboot), you may have this error:

Registration failed with error 0x80041010 StatusAgent 8/10/2015 5:51:46 PM 2312 (0x0908)
Failed to add event forwarder for CCM_EVENTFORWARDER_CONFIGURATION.INSTANCEID="SMSBRANCHDP.INSTANCE0",NAME="SMSEVENTLOGFORWARDER" StatusAgent 8/10/2015 5:51:46 PM 2312 (0x0908)

This currently is mainly speculation, and no one will be able to tell for sure without more log files provided. However, I currently have a call open with MS when my Win 7 base build (from ISO) started failing on Software Updates and Software Packages (command lines that used packages were fine). This started after we upgraded R2 to SP1. We've found that the client actually never successfully registers, but that is it so far. If you can provide these two log files, we can verify if this is a reproducible issue. If these errors aren't in your logs, it is still beneficial to provide them :)

I don't think this is the entire smsts.log.

Keep in mind that once the client is installed, this gets moved to C:\Windows\ccm\logs\smstslog\smsts.log

You should have multiple copies in this directory since your log will likely roll over once.

In your rolled over version of the log (looks like smsts-DateSTamp-TimeStamp.log), check for any errors during the client install. (such as "Timed out waiting for ccmexec service to be fully operational")

Also check the c:\windows\ccm\logs folder for statusagent.log (again, likely the rolled over version of the log). During the time the client got installed (or after a reboot), you may have this error:

This currently is mainly speculation, and no one will be able to tell for sure without more log files provided. However, I currently have a call open with MS when my Win 7 base build (from ISO) started failing on Software Updates and Software Packages (command lines that used packages were fine). This started after we upgraded R2 to SP1. We've found that the client actually never successfully registers, but that is it so far. If you can provide these two log files, we can verify if this is a reproducible issue. If these errors aren't in your logs, it is still beneficial to provide them :)

Thank you for the reply, mdedeboer! I appreciate it.

The attached smsts log was from after the task sequence had already completed. I have several from during the task sequence, however I've already figured out the issue.

I tested another task sequence and had the same problems (despite making no changes to this particular one). So I started looking at why it wasn't joining the domain during the "Apply Network Settings" task (as that was the first step in the task sequence which wasn't working correctly). The reason was the Active Directory account provided to join the machine to the domain must've had its password expire, and coincidentally it must've happened around the same time I was applying this new driver package to the task sequence. I reset the password and also set it to never expire, then updated the password within the task sequence and ran it again. It worked just fine after that.