SCCM_AL

Updates not being delivered

Question

Hi Guys,

I've been reading these forums, and got a lot of help from here, so firstly: thanks!

I was hoping someone could help me troubleshoot a current issue with Software Updates. I've got an SCCM 2007 infrastructure, and a little while ago Updates just stopped reliably working, some patches would go, others wouldn't I've got nowhere troubleshooting it, so I'm at the point where I've decided to just clear everything off and try again. So I've gone in to SCCM and cleared out all of the Update Lists, Templates, Deployment Packages, etc. I've removed all the update content, too. I've then started again, small-scale, with a handful of PCs and updates. I'm still getting nowhere!

My setup is a single primary site, with a few secondary site systems. SQL database on a shared central infrastructure. SCCM central site server also runs WSUS, which is set up and seems to be working. I've set up a test Update List pointing to a new package and a new collection of test machines. I've put a generous, daytime maintenance window. I've downloaded about 60 updates, a few recent and then some historical from 2010 just to test. The test machines are running Win7 Sp1 and a handful of manually-installed updates, but are generally unpatched.

I'm finding it a real struggle to make sense of what's happening from the logs:

• WUAhandler seems to show evaluation of updates, and most of them have 'status: missing'.
  • UpdatesStore shows lots of entries saying 'update (GUID) not found in updates store' - but I don't know if this means a local store, or on the server. Content on the server seems to be there and the update deployment package appears to have distributed successfully to site servers.
  • WindowsUpdate.log shows a mix of things - entries like 'updates found: 548'. It shows the correct agent details for CCMexec and the Server URL or the SCCM/WSUS box. The only error it shows it a 'GetCookie failure error 0x8024400D', which I've googled and all seems to be to do with WSUS rather than SCCM.

The one that's really puzzling me, however, is in the update repository in the SCCM console itself. When I view the list of updates and how they apply to the estate in general, I get very small numbers for 'required' and a large portion of 'not required'. For example, if I pick article 3097877 from MS15-155, which I've definitely not deployed, it shows only 69 clients require it, and 2,800 are 'not required'. Those figures stay in similar proportion for most of the repository - I can't help but feel that's wrong, as how can so many computers not require updates I've never deployed?

Thanks for reading my ramble. Hopefully something I've said might spark an idea in someone. Otherwise, please could someone give me some general tips for a troubleshooting approach? Specific things I might look for in logs, or things I can try to test?

Thanks

Al

1 answer to this question

Update for anyone who finds this thread....

We never really proved what the fault was, but we found that MS patch 3112343 has resolved it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3112343

All the clients we pushed this to have successfully received updates, suggesting that there was an issue with the windows update client on our PCs.