John Carlo Rodriguez

How to include product key of a .EXE application when created in SCCM2012?

Question

Hi Guys,

I am very newbie in SCCM and hope you can help me. I created a SCCM application, the name is TreeSize Professional (.EXE). We usually install this application manually, and input the Product Key when the installation window asked.

Now, I tried to create an automated installation of the said application in SCCM2012, however, my struggle is I am not sure how to include the product key on the installation. I've attached a file with screenshot.

Hope you could help me and give me a detailed guide with explanation how did you do it.

Thank you so much!

SCCM Newbie.pdf

1 answer to this question

Including the software key is going to completely dependent on the installer you are using. For example, for Microsoft Office you would need to create an MSP file. Largely, you will need to rely on installation documentation or reverse engineering to silently include license key information.

With regards to the exe installer for treesize professional, the online installation manual covers this scenario:

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize/manual.php

Unattended Installation

Starting the EXE-based installer with the command line parameters

/SILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /PASSWORD=YourInstallKey

will perform a silent and automatic installation with the default settings. Please replace YourInstallKey with the installation key that you received after your registration. Using /VERYSILENT instead of /SILENT will prevent any visual feedback. The option /DIR="x:\dirname"can be used to override the default install path.

To perform a silent and unattended installation using the MSI-Installer, you need to use a command line like this for MsiExec:

msiexec /qn /i “TreeSizeProfessional-x64-Full-EN.msi” ” INSTALLATION_KEY=”XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX”

Please prefix the MSI file with the path of the network share, in which the MSI file is stored, and adjust the installation key. You may also set the property INSTALLATION_KEY by modifying the MSI file using a tool like Orca.

I hope this helps!