Teralax

Sccm 2012 Update reporting question

Question

First off let me state that I am new to SCCM but am in the process of learning. Today I was tasked with figuring out why a certain update, in this case KB2871997, reports the way it does when looking at either All Software Updates or the built in reports. We have the numbers for Installed, required, and not required. Some of the not required are legit and that is fine but there are also a good number of systems that fall under that category that do have the update installed. What causes that?

1 answer to this question

The next thing I have found is that checking Windows Update shows there are multiple security updates available but SCCM tells me they are not required on that same server.

For example I have a 2008 r2 server that shows it is missing 1 security update when running the Compliance 5 report. If I run Windows Update on the server it shows that it is missing 7 security updates. I've checked the report for Not Required and those extra 6 updates are listed there. This currently leads me to think that our servers are missing more updates than we are aware of. One of those updates that Windows Update says is needed is 3060716 but SCCM 2012 is reporting Not Required.

Any guidance on this will be appreciated.

thanks