NullSID

Task Sequence Question During OSD Deployment

So, We are deploying the Cisco VPN client with Web security.

In my Task Sequence, I have the install of the web security piece (Works fine)

But the next step is to copy a license file to a %programdata%\path\path\placefile here

I'm using a batch file and robocopy to copy the file to the correct location. If this is on my physical computer, it works without issue.

It failed as a second step in the application. So I'm trying it with a package.

Do I need to specify a variable in the task sequence step like _SMSTSMDataPath or the startup folder in the package to make it copy?

After the install of the OS is completed, I can see the batch file and the license file on the client system. So I'm not sure why the program in the application did not work.

The AppEnforce.log said that the dependency couldn't be found. Which I corrected because since the Web Security software was not installed, and the dependency pointed to a specific directory in order for the license copy to run, it fails because Web Security needs to install first.

So I guess the short is, if during a task sequence I need to copy a file from whatever directory its in to a specific location on the client, what's the best way to do that?

I deploy all mu applications with a Powershell script.

Even if it's an MSI, I use the same Powershell script to deploy application.

This makes it easy to add any aditional steps to be performed, like copying files, adding reg keys, showing dialogues/warnings, prompts to close processes before proceding, etc...

Is it an MSI that you try to install?

No. The MSI's are cake. It was this silly license file that needed to be copied to a specific folder on the pc during imaging. I just got it resolved last night.

I essentially did this:

Deployed the VPN first in the TS

Deployed the Web Security Piece second int the TS

Then I had written a batch file to copy the license file to it's final resting place using robocopy and starting in whatever the working directory was. so the app ran a script with robocopy "%cd%" "pathtofile" "filename.txt"

The package I was using for the TS to copy the license file was no worky :) so I created the Application deployment with a scripted installer and it worked great.

I also whiffed on the dependency piece after I thought I corrected it. But it's all good now.