olley

PXE boot from media/stick

Good morning all.

I'm currently disitributing an SCCM site server to a branch office I've got limited access to. Never had to do a setup like that but I'm sure you've got helpful suggestions :-)

In that office the switches are not supporting an IP helper address. Also the DHCP server (in that case some device like a home router) has no possibilities to set DHCP options 66/67.

I don't like the way of using a full task sequence media containing the whole content. My Win 10 TS is currently up to 65 GB. So updating that stick was always a pain in the past...

So the question is if there is a way to tell the client the PXE server it should connect to. From client side of course. Maybe with a bootable USB media or similar?

Sites and Services are configured correct. For some reason the broadcast doesn't find the server :-/

Any suggestions here?

Thanks for your time and help,

Oliver

Well, not supported (my oh my, how could somebody dare to do something that MS does not officially support?), but you could get away from the whole unnecessary PXE server existence (and especially in the case there is no need to involve any PXE calls)

USB boot & off client goes to specified DP (all set during the creation of the USB - as the variables.dat being encrypted can NOT be edited - really gets on my nerves!) to pick the TS (as long as it can resolve the name & access that DP)

Of course it needs to pull the data from DP, so being it that big, it might in fact be easier to use 128Gb USB & do it all locally!