We currently have a functional SCCM environment in our organization. We have a primary site server running Server '08, SCCM 2012. It is functional but messy. 

I am wanting to install SCCM CB on a new Server 2016 from scratch and take down the old. I have installed a lab environment successfully. My concern lies in installing a new environment when an old one already exists. How will it impact me and what steps do I need to watch out for when installing the new environment when there is already an instance of SCCM on our domain. How does it impact AD? What about the existing clients? Is there anything that I am not aware of that I should be concerned with in this endeavor?

Earlier this year I completed a similar task going from a 2012 R2 hierarchy to a stand-alone Primary running CB 1607. I chose to do a side-by-side migration which resulted in zero downtime and I was able to take my time moving clients/apps/settings over. There was no impact with AD. Existing clients continued to report to the old environment until I moved them to the new one. This is one of the articles I used as a guide. https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/sccm-1511-migration/

• Like 1

I wasn't really sure what to expect so I just targeted a hand-full of computers in IT (always like to test on my co-workers :D) and used client push from the new site to enroll them. There are also a couple scripts out there that will re-assign clients but the client push worked for me. All in all, it took me about 8 weeks to get fully up on the new environment. I migrated collections that had few members and software deployments that were targeted to a small number of machines. I wanted to see first hand what the client behavior was once the new policy's started applying. The cool thing is that there really isn't a true 'Go Live' in the traditional sense as both environments will be available throughout the process. I enabled distribution point sharing and was able to re-assign one of the remote distribution points to the new environment. I also set up rate limits on the new DP and distributed most of my packages in off hours so it wouldn't choke the network.