Gar

Client doesn’t retrieve DP List - "Received empty location update for CTM Job"

I posted this on TechNet already, but as I'm still experiencing the issue I'm posting here as well.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/536377e1-b387-40e8-b40f-6e39ca0eacd2/client-doesnt-retrieve-dp-list-received-empty-location-update-for-ctm-job?forum=configmanagersecurity#cc043ccc-4572-4165-ab67-287bae2c7728

I’ve been bashing my head on this issue for some time now, and trawled through many, many posts on the Internet without being able to resolve my issue.

Background

We have a working SCCM setup on Domain1. Recently I pushed out Domain1’s agent to all Domain2 computers and servers via a Powershell script with explicit install parameters; this is all fine.

Patching and Software deployments are working are on all the test desktops I’ve deployed on, so this is a checkpoint for me as I know that MP/DP/BITs (firewall ports) connectivity is all working fine. On the server I’m testing on with Software Updates I get the following:

UpdatesStore.log – Recognises software update deployments and missing updates are returning the correct Status = Missing entry in the log.

UpdatesDeployment.log – Acknowledges the above with “EnumerateUpdates for action (UpdateActionInstall) - Total actionable updates = 1”

Further down the log, I get this error being flagged. I cannot determine if this is a red herring or not, but this post references the exact error and MS has dismissed it as not having any functional impact to SCCM.

Failed to get SDM CI for update (Site_E0302A3C-FCA2-434A-8822-A1806E8739D3/SUM_96d2119c-c85d-4490-b58c-927d2ebe297c) from type store, error = 0x80070002

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e5a3a864-2d0c-40be-b7c7-d27b48bee17c/failed-to-get-sdm-ci-for-update-from-type-store-error-0x80070002?forum=ConfigMgrCompliance

I never see any entries for the “CIStateDownloadingPercent” at all though, so it never even attempts to download, which leads me onto ContentTransferManager.log.

ContentTransferManager.log

CCTMJob::UpdateLocations - Received empty location update for CTM Job {D6A97A39-6FE4-4524-BFAD-7AE24F2A1019}

WUAHandler.log – Correct SCCM server set as WSUS source. “Existing WUA Managed server was already set”.

LocationServices.log - Correct SCCM server set as WSUS Path.

Boundaries and Boundary Groups

I’ve configured IP Range Boundaries which covers the IP of the server in question. Additionally I have subsequently added Active Directory Site Boundaries as well, with no difference. The IP Range and AD Site Boundaries are members of the Boundary Group which is referencing our MPs and DPs on Domain1.

Deployment Package and DP

These are always at 100% compliance state before I reinitiate scans on the server having the issue.

Additionally, I've successfully tested an application deployment to the affected server and this was deployed fine, and the source files reside in the CCMCACHE folder which is even more confusing!

Need some guidance on what else to check or look out for please, I keep getting pointed back to Boundary Group definitions which makes sense, but I've checked this over and over again, and there is only so much validation I can do on an IP address; I even ran a PS script on the site server to see what Boundaries the affected IP falls under and of course, it returned the Boundaries I defined.