Nerano

Side-by-side migration to current branch from 2012 SP1

Hi,

I would appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction (own experience, guides, blogs etc)
on which steps need to be carried out to do a successful side-by-side migration from SCCM 2012 R2
SP1 (CU4) to CB 1710.

We are going to start our Windows 10 deployment project in our company this spring and are
currently managing our clients running/deploying Windows 8.1 from our SCCM 2012 R2 site.

The reason for considering to do a side-by-side migration (as opposed to an in place upgrade) is that I will be responsible
for OS Deployment of Windows 10 in SCCM (with MDT integration) and I am just starting out with MDT/OS Deploy, I lack some
experience and am learning the tools now. On the SCCM 2012 we are using now to deploy our 8.1 clients
the MDT integration is "half working" so to speak, to understand how it´s been setup would require a lot of reverse engineering
and it all feels a bit overwhelming since it´s not been well documented.

I'm basically afraid I will "break" the OS deploy on the 2012 server since part of the upgrade procedure is uninstalling ADK for
Windows 8,1 and install ADK for Windows 10 (may cause problems with boot images/drivers etc.)

It feels tempting to setup a fresh CM server on 2016 and setup everything from scratch and migrate clients from the 2012 site to the CB site in a controlled fashion.
It would also be benifical from a learning aspect and to be able to document the installation.

Description of current SCCM environment:

-One Primary Site Server (also running 11 other roles)
-12 servers running DP and Site System Roles
-Boundaries and Boundary Groups for each of the servers above
-Approx 750 managed devices (all running Windows 8.1)

I know there are alot of considerations to be made but find it difficult to find recent information on how to do a
side-by-side migration from SCCM 2012 R2 to CB, In the case of 2012 SP1 most people seem to recommend
an in-place-upgrade

Thanks for reading and hope you can help!

have you found a solution for this ? I am in the same boat.

We need to run the new CB along with the current 2012 CM. But i am concerned about the overlapping boundaries. 

What if automatic site assignment is not configured, in that case, can we run side by side 2 config mgm in the same domain ?

any help is much appreciated.

thx

Sarav