sweety_devil

Need help with SUP

Question

Hi,

I read your guidelines but I'm not sure to understand everything.

I had a WSUS server but now I want use SCCM to deploy my microsoft patches.

So I install wsus on the sccm server, I added the software update point and I enabled the software update client agent.

I would like to deploy automatically all critical and security updates needed by the xp computers every 3 days.

I didn't understand how to do it exactly.

Thank you for your help.

4 answers to this question

When you follow the SUP guides, they tell you how to create a single deployment for a group of particular patches. Since Microsoft only release new ones every month, you only really need to do deployments every month, not every 3 days. Once a deployment is active it will continue serving those updates to clients, old and new alike, until you signal it to stop.

Once you've installed SCCM, WSUS (remember to just cancel to configuration wizard after setup) and a SUP, you need to make sure you are not configuring WSUS on client systems using Group Policy. Once all this is in place, SCCM should be in a position for you to start creating patch deployments using the Software Updates feature.

That's our point - you have to create a deployment every month for the patches you want to distribute. It is not an automatic process.

The server will sync with Windows Update automatically, providing information on all updates available. Then you need to filter and create an Update List containing the specific updates you wish to deploy, then create a Deployment using the Update List and target it at a collection.

Initially, it seems a bit odd, but I've been looking at this as an SCCM Software Update newbie for a few months now and it does make a lot of sense and is pretty cool when it's working. The toughest part is creating a 'workflow' which works best for you and your systems.

The best way is to trial it (lots) with a small bunch of test systems first, before you go throwing updates out to All Systems (which I wouldn't recommend anyway).

MRaybone.