wanderer

Update Collection Membership v Refresh

Question

I am currently testing SCCM 2007 on Server 2008 sp2 with Windows 7. When we rebuild a PC it comes out of Sysprep, renames itself to the same name as before, reboots and then joins the domain with the correct name. This all works OK - not being done by SCCM. I have the Collection set to update membership every hour and I have the AD System Discovery task set to run every 5 minutes for testing. I also have a task to delete the obsolete data related to the old PC, this also works OK. The problem is that the rebuilt PC does not receive any advertisements until I do an Action/Refresh on the Console; even if I leave it for 24 hours or more. Once I've done a Refresh with the correct collection the PC receives its advertisements in a timely manner. I don't understand why doing a "Update Collection Membership" does not include "Refresh", perhaps someone who understands this can explain. Is there some way of scripting or forcing a "Refresh"? Thanks for your help,

Wanderer

4 answers to this question

I am currently testing SCCM 2007 on Server 2008 sp2 with Windows 7. When we rebuild a PC it comes out of Sysprep, renames itself to the same name as before, reboots and then joins the domain with the correct name. This all works OK - not being done by SCCM. I have the Collection set to update membership every hour and I have the AD System Discovery task set to run every 5 minutes for testing. I also have a task to delete the obsolete data related to the old PC, this also works OK. The problem is that the rebuilt PC does not receive any advertisements until I do an Action/Refresh on the Console; even if I leave it for 24 hours or more. Once I've done a Refresh with the correct collection the PC receives its advertisements in a timely manner. I don't understand why doing a "Update Collection Membership" does not include "Refresh", perhaps someone who understands this can explain. Is there some way of scripting or forcing a "Refresh"? Thanks for your help,

Wanderer

Hm im not sure if you might have confused "refresh" and "Update Collection Membership".

"Update colelction Membership" basically means rerun the query of that collection. If this is not scheduled you have to do it manually.

This can be scheduled from here: post-2500-12658765892368_thumb.jpg

"Refresh (F5)" basically only refreshes the consoleview

An Update collectionship or scheduled update is all that is needed for a client to recieve an advertisement, no consoleview refresh is needed.If this still happens there might be a problem with your SCCM installation. Ive seen this happen before, where the sql querys never finish and the little hourglas never disapears from the collection. Get back to me if this matches your problem.

Here is a reference at microsoft: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc180355.aspx

Hm im not sure if you might have confused "refresh" and "Update Collection Membership".

"Update colelction Membership" basically means rerun the query of that collection. If this is not scheduled you have to do it manually.

This can be scheduled from here: post-2500-12658765892368_thumb.jpg

"Refresh (F5)" basically only refreshes the consoleview

An Update collectionship or scheduled update is all that is needed for a client to recieve an advertisement, no consoleview refresh is needed.If this still happens there might be a problem with your SCCM installation. Ive seen this happen before, where the sql querys never finish and the little hourglas never disapears from the collection. Get back to me if this matches your problem.

Here is a reference at microsoft: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc180355.aspx

Hello,

I have the problem you are describing in the last paragraph. If I add a machine to a collection and initiate update collection membership. the machine will not show up even after long time and the hourglass is still there. The only option is to restart the box and then the membership is updated(or I did not fin anything better - some service or ConfigMgr Service). could you please point me where to look for an error?

Thanks!

Hello,

I have the problem you are describing in the last paragraph. If I add a machine to a collection and initiate update collection membership. the machine will not show up even after long time and the hourglass is still there. The only option is to restart the box and then the membership is updated(or I did not fin anything better - some service or ConfigMgr Service). could you please point me where to look for an error?

Thanks!

I am also experiencing this same issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone,

the reason the hourglass doesn't disappear, is because it's actually a reminder to refresh.

Here is the selection out of the article mentioned by MCITP:

Updating a collection membership list does not automatically refresh the view of the collection in the details pane of the SMS Administrator console. Instead, an hourglass appears next to the name of the collection in the console tree as a reminder to refresh the view. To refresh the view of an updated collection, select the collection and press F5.

I admit that it's a bit confusing since an hourglass has always meant that we had to wait for something,

but everything's easy if you know how to do it right? :D

Greetz,

MrPatch.