Joe

OSD w/ MDT - Task Sequence not running

Question

Greetings:

I'm having some challenges with an OSD deployment of WinXP SP3 using SCCM and MDT2010.

The machine will PXE boot and deploy the WIM I've created with XP in it. It seems, though, that nothing that I speicfy in the task sequence is acutlly used in during the build.

For example, I've specified the product key, and the domain to join (with a username/password that is valid). If I don't put these settings in the sysprep.inf in my settings package, it will not join the domain nor put the product key in. I've got quite a few more tasks for it to complete, but it looks like it's bailing out of the task early and causing problems. I've examined BDD.LOG and SMSTS.LOG and there are no errors. I also see no reference to the username that I have specified to join the domain with.

Is there another log file stashed somewhere? I've specified an SLSHARE in my CUSTOMSETTINGS.INI to redirect the logs to a server -- is it possible something isn't getting copied over? It really seems like all that is happening is that my WIM is getting deployed and sysprep.inf from my setting package is getting copied over. Other than that, no other changes are getting applied.

Any help locating the proper log (or log entries if they aren't an error!) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

Well, just like every other problem -- spend hours looking at it, can't figure it out. Post a question and you find the answer not 2 minutes after you hit the post button.

If it helps anyone else -- my problem was that there was in fact an error in the log files and I missed it. I had an install software updates task that I must have accidentally dragged into the wrong spot. I moved it back and I'm back in business.

Sorry to be a bother!