George

How to rename computer in SCCM

Question

Hello friends!

1. I have a Windows 7 or Windows XP computer in my domain and this computer called GEROGE01.

2. GEORGE01 is known PC and located in SCCM collection; it receives all updates and software, working just fine.

2. Now, George was killed by system administrator and his computer goes to John (like Vasya in Russia) and regarding of company policy Georges PC should be reinstalled with clean OS and renamed to JOHN01.

My little question is how can I do it with SCCM?

There is no option to assign OS deployment task with new HOSTNAME, correct me if not.

The only method I got is to delete GEORGE01 from collection and do import single computer with the same MAC, set JOHN01 name and install new OS through PXE task… but it looks very strange for me and my helpdesk guys.

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

well you could tweak it to autogenerate a new computer name without user input based on several factors,

you could use computer variables, collection variables or other ideas..

that's up to you to script

cheers

niall

well you could tweak it to autogenerate a new computer name without user input based on several factors,

you could use computer variables, collection variables or other ideas..

that's up to you to script

cheers

niall

I have no idea how to obtain future PC owner username from AD and rename deployed PC according user's familyname but not longer than 15 symbols...