tiandu

Understanding Site Code Assignment

Hi Guys,

Firstly I would like to say that this forum is great, and has helped me a lot in the past, especially the guides. I find it has better information generally than Technet !

So, now onto my question, and I guess the problem is a failure in my understanding of the subject.

I have 2 Primary sites, S01 and S02, where S01 is the parent of S02. I create a boundary on S02, assigning the Site Code that belongs to S02. As S01 is the Parent Site, it automatically receives this Boundary in its list of boundaries.

Clients in the AD Site that S02 belongs to, are shown in ConfigMgr client as belonging to Site Code S02, which as far as I am concerned is correct. However, when I look at the clients themselves (ie Configuration Manager applet in Control Panel on the local PC) it is showing the Site Code as S01, and I am unable to manually change the Site Code to S02.

So my question is, have I misunderstood what should happen ? Should clients in S02 site receive the Site Code for S01 ? Or have i understood correctly, and I have made a failure somewhere else ?

Just for extra information, I have other Secondary Sites under S01 and they all work OK (but are Secondary Sites, unlike S02 which I installed as a Primary Site).

As ever, many thanks for any help you can give me.

Well I think I've solved the problem.

The clients in site S02 should get the site code S02, since S02 is also a Primary Site. It turns out my issue was with the Management Point. S02 had previously been a secondary site of S01 before I uninstalled it, and there was an old AD entry in S01 site for the S02 server. Once I deleted that, and re-installed the Management Point in S02, clients in site S02 were then able to auto-discover the site code for S02. I also confirmed that Software Distribution works for these clients, so it all looks good !