salle

Copyprofile=True fails first boot

Question

Struggled today with my sysprep.xml which I thought I had already resolved. So this is what I've done.

-Install Win7

-Software/Drivers etc...

-Boot into Audit mode

-Settings, shortcuts, disabling WMP Sharing service or whatever it is,delete unused accounts (the temporary account I installed software with), though I did it by deleting the user from compmgmt.msc and then deleting the profile folder, so this is probably the reason for my problems...(haven't tested it yet!)

Anyway, continuing...

-Copy my sysprep.xml to sysprep folder and run sysprep

-Grab the image with Ghost

-Restart the computer to see if OOBE goes ok

Then I get this after a while:

Windows could not parse or process the Unattend answer file for the pass [specialize]. The settings in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup]

Then I finally googled this:

http://jamiebaldanza.org/2010/03/31/copyprofile-does-not-process-and-causes-windows-could-not-parse-or-process-the-unattend-answer-file-for-the-pass-specialize/

So probably I should just have deleted the account from "Configure advanced user properties" instead of deleting the user...But haven't had the chance to try it yet. But damn that it was hard to find!

Will try it tomorrow and check in the results here...

Also, just need to know one more thing:

I installed this reference computer with Win7 Enterprise, and activated it with a MAK key. After I sysprepped it (without CopyProfile option, OOBE worked), it was still activated? How is this possible? I thought sysprep deactivates Windows...

3 answers to this question

Success! I had the deleted user still in registry in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and after I deleted it I had no problems during the specialize phase!

*Sigh*

Another problem. It seems after sysprep Windows has reset the display adapter back to Standard VGA. This in turn has disabled standby modes completely..

EDIT:

Seems like it might have something to do with generalize phase removing devices

Trying this now:

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
           <PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>
       </component>

And... <PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls> works... I don't understand the logic though. If I sysprep a computer and restart it, how is it possible that installation thinks it's different hardware...