TomF

Change SCCM Client Install Location

Hey all, I have been looking around but haven't been able to find a yes or no answer to this question. Is it possible to install the SCCM client to another location other than C:\Windows\system32\CCM? If so, what would need to be done server side to make sure the reporting would work properly, and if not, thanks for the info :)

Hey all, I have been looking around but haven't been able to find a yes or no answer to this question. Is it possible to install the SCCM client to another location other than C:\Windows\system32\CCM? If so, what would need to be done server side to make sure the reporting would work properly, and if not, thanks for the info :)

Here you go:

CCMSetup.exe CCMINSTALLDIR="C:\Temp"

This command changes the location of the installation. So to answer your question is: Yes!

More information:

Technet Article

Awesome! The reason we're asking is we currently use DeepFreeze on our machines and found a few issues in reporting software/hardware when all files were reverted back to the Frozen point. If we change the install location to another drive (eg. D:\), I am assuming this will resolve the issues of our reports and information pulling inaccurate information? I'll be testing this command out this afternoon, just curious if this makes sense as a fix for our environment. Thanks for the speedy response!

Just incase you're not familiar with DeepFreeze, it's a piece of software that will allow you to "snapshot" your computer in a point in time and whenever it is restarted, it reverts all changes back to that snapshot. I work for a school division, so it comes in handy when kids start to play :)

Awesome! The reason we're asking is we currently use DeepFreeze on our machines and found a few issues in reporting software/hardware when all files were reverted back to the Frozen point. If we change the install location to another drive (eg. D:\), I am assuming this will resolve the issues of our reports and information pulling inaccurate information? I'll be testing this command out this afternoon, just curious if this makes sense as a fix for our environment. Thanks for the speedy response!

Just incase you're not familiar with DeepFreeze, it's a piece of software that will allow you to "snapshot" your computer in a point in time and whenever it is restarted, it reverts all changes back to that snapshot. I work for a school division, so it comes in handy when kids start to play :)

If this is the case: lock down the computer and publish your applications. restrict their rights and you won't have any problems when kids start to play because they can't any more ;)

Unfortunately we don't have that option at the moment, but using app-v is something on our plates for next school year to be looking at.

I have ran into a small issue with this. During the image deployment of our machines, it has the "Setup Windows and ConfigMgr" task in the task sequence. Using this command in that location doesn't seem to change the install location of the SCCM client, but it does work if I manually install SCCM onto a machine.

If the SCCM client is already installed on a machine, is there a way to either reinstall or move it to another location? If it's possible, we can package and set it up later in our task sequence, but just not sure if it's even possible once it's installed to C:\. Or is there a way to uninstall the SCCM client via the package then run it again as a reinstall with the ccminstalldir command?

Please let me know, any info is greatly appreciated! :)

Unfortunately we don't have that option at the moment, but using app-v is something on our plates for next school year to be looking at.

I have ran into a small issue with this. During the image deployment of our machines, it has the "Setup Windows and ConfigMgr" task in the task sequence. Using this command in that location doesn't seem to change the install location of the SCCM client, but it does work if I manually install SCCM onto a machine.

If the SCCM client is already installed on a machine, is there a way to either reinstall or move it to another location? If it's possible, we can package and set it up later in our task sequence, but just not sure if it's even possible once it's installed to C:\. Or is there a way to uninstall the SCCM client via the package then run it again as a reinstall with the ccminstalldir command?

Please let me know, any info is greatly appreciated! :)

You may want to try the options suggested in the following MS forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrgeneral/thread/5ddd9596-8d50-4177-90d8-fc1a0272f950

The accepted answer states options of using: GPO or login script amongst others.

You may also want to check out solutions like Avecto's Privilege Guard, which allows you to reduce the users to "standard users" while either elevating individual admin privilege on apps/functionality, and/or doing complete white/black listing.

I'm know of, but am unfamiliar with the usage of DeepFreeze. Does it let you do incrementals? If not, you may also want to try something like Acronis Backup & Recovery or Symantec Ghost. But that's harder to justify now that you already have DF. Still though. Check out the PG app. It's GPO based, and may be worth your time.

Good Luck