WAZZIE

Driver install after OSD ?

Question

Hi All,

Things have been going really good with my packages and OSD. Until....

Someone comes along with a new model of pc - Dell Optiplex 980. I go to dell get all the 32 and 64 bit drivers and do the usual import and package for the drivers within SCCM. DP's are up to date. Then go for a test OSD on the 980

The 980 doesnt OSD as per all my other dell machines i have in SCCM. It fails. I will look into this....

I then go back and test a dell 960 which WAS working fine, and its works fully, however now comes up with an Administrator credentials prompt box after successfully installing via osd, all software is installed.

Further investigation reveals that the credetials are required for the GFX card to finish installation ???

If i give credentials its ok (installs / finishes off) - if i click cancel its ok as when i cancel and look in device manager its already installed correct version.

Anyone seen this before. I am a bit puzzled....

2 answers to this question

By my last finished task sequence with an optiplex 980 i have got the same problem at the end.

It asked my for admin credential to install the gfx-card...

but this driver is in the main 980-driver-package, i will check it again.

ok - believe i have 'fixed' this. Unless anyone has actually seen this issue and knows a different workaround.

both models have the ATI HD3470 gfx card.

the 960 driver from dell is slightly older than the 980 driver from dell.

when i use the 960 driver (slightly older) things are cool

when i use the new driver - 960 and 980 ask for admin credentials to finalise the gfx driver.

Possibly a driver issue, however it also brought to my attention that in my task sequence, i was allowing sccm to pick the best driver from all the driver packages. hence once i loaded up the 980 drivers & package my 960 started going wrong aswell - with the same gfx card. the 960 got the 980 driver and started having issues.

I think in my case im going to change my task sequence to be more specific about the driver packages it looks in for drivers, hopefully this will aviod issues like this in the future.

Hope this makes sense, and helps anyone avoid similar issues in the future.