TomF

Exchange 2010 OWA

Question

Hey all, I'm usually viewing the SCCM forums but have run into an Exchange issue that I am having some issues finding an answer to.

We currently have Exchange 2010 OWA and are curious if we can have it so when a user access it internally, it uses the standard authentication (windows auth.) and automatically logs them in. But if they access the page externally, it gives them the form based authentication. I'm not seeing a way to do this easily, but have thought up of a solution that may work but no clue if it will.

My thought was to create a seperate OWA virtual directory (eg. mailserver.domain.com/owa2) with the same internal/external url's as the default one (mailserver.domain.com/owa). Then on the Default Page, code a page (possibly with Java or php) to determine the users IP and if it belongs to one of our subnets, route to X page, otherwise route to Y page. Would this setup work? Anyone see an issue with it? I'm assuming this can be done for Exchange 2007 OWA and isn't specific to 2010.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and thanks!

2 answers to this question

Hey all, I'm usually viewing the SCCM forums but have run into an Exchange issue that I am having some issues finding an answer to.

We currently have Exchange 2010 OWA and are curious if we can have it so when a user access it internally, it uses the standard authentication (windows auth.) and automatically logs them in. But if they access the page externally, it gives them the form based authentication. I'm not seeing a way to do this easily, but have thought up of a solution that may work but no clue if it will.

My thought was to create a seperate OWA virtual directory (eg. mailserver.domain.com/owa2) with the same internal/external url's as the default one (mailserver.domain.com/owa). Then on the Default Page, code a page (possibly with Java or php) to determine the users IP and if it belongs to one of our subnets, route to X page, otherwise route to Y page. Would this setup work? Anyone see an issue with it? I'm assuming this can be done for Exchange 2007 OWA and isn't specific to 2010.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and thanks!

MS Exchange is quite complicated application as concerns any problems. But I think there is one good medicine which names the special tool. I paid heed to at one soft blog and after it proved all its positive properties due to it is able to resolve any problem with ms exchange for some minutes - recovery exchange server.