astx813

TS fails during capture image

Question

Using a basic setup of MDT & WDS, I've created a simple task just to deploy and capture a base Windows 7 image. It deploys just fine, but fails during the capture phase. Testing via command prompt showed that it wasn't a permission issue (no trouble at all writing to the specified capture share). I took a look through the SMSTS.log and this was the first thing to catch my attention

Executing command line: %TOOLROOT%\bddrun.exe /runas cscript.exe "%SCRIPTROOT%\ZTIBackup.wsf"	TSManager	1/7/2011 5:09:43 PM	1584 (0x0630)
Process completed with exit code 1060	TSManager	1/7/2011 5:09:43 PM	1584 (0x0630)
Failed to run the action: Create WIM. The specified service does not exist as an installed service. (Error: 00000424; Source: Windows)	TSManager	1/7/2011 5:09:43 PM	1584 (0x0630)

I happened to notice that there is no ZTIBackup script to be found. There are plenty of scripts in <Target Drive>\MININT\Scripts and in <Boot Drive>\Deploy\Scripts, but ZTIBackup.wsf isn't one of them. Any idea why this file is missing? I have a hunch this is the source of my current headache. This task sequence is just a "Standard Client Task Sequence" that does nothing more than install the OS and Firefox. Thoughts? Ideas? This wasn't the source of my headaches. I injected the missing script into the WIM and I'm still getting the same errors. Oh, the headaches...

2 answers to this question

FIXED! It took me a while to pick up on this one, but I found the source of the problem! "The specified service does not exist..." had me thinking this wasn't about just a missing script. I took a close look at the contents of the TS and the scripts that were being called, because I couldn't figure out why this was the only mention of bddrun.exe in the logs, despite the fact that this was just another "Run Command Line" step in the TS. The problem was that I was being very security minded when I set this all up, and I wasn't willing to give Everyone full control over my Deployment Share, so I had used the "run this step as the following account" so the Create WIM stage could use an account with permissions. And that was the problem, I guess BDDRUN doesn't work in WinPE or something. Disabling that and giving write permissions to Everyone got it working. Sure hope someone can learn from my mistake!

Now, let's see what I get stuck on next... :)