Sheikko

DHCP Server different subnet

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, it's my fisrt message, but i read frequently your forum and I think is one of the bests.

I have a "problem": I have installed 2 machines with Win Server 2008 R2. THe first one is a DC with DNS, DHCP Server and the second is equiped with WDS Server.

Server are in a public network and the DHPC server is work percefly giving Clients with an IP in the same subnet. But my problem is that I want this DHCP server to serv also client in a private network (192.168.1.x).

I have configured the server with two scopes, but the private one doesn't work.

I know that I have to configure router or to install a DHCP relay, but.... Can I install and configure RAS and DHCP relay on the current DHCP server or I need another server?

With current configuration and also because I can't configure routers or add another machine what is the best solution?

Thank you very much

If the server has two nics you can connect them with two switches and connect your clients on the switch you want them to work. Thats the simplest solution i guess

I can't add hardaware cause clients are connected to the same network and they can have public or private IP either. They are not separated by hardware. They are in a big university network.

I want ot know if I can configure DHCP server to serve them with one NIC or I need 2 NICs or I need some special configuration

I can't add hardaware cause clients are connected to the same network and they can have public or private IP either. They are not separated by hardware. They are in a big university network.

I want ot know if I can configure DHCP server to serve them with one NIC or I need 2 NICs or I need some special configuration

i am newbie also here but this is the best forum out there. How many Network Handle your DHCP SERVER? now Monitor your DHCP server if what network did they used.. The best advice for simplicity sake is add NIC to the server, and assign a private address if you can.. is your WDS is for production purpose or not? if not then create a stand alone dhcp network into a new start and end scope addresses.. if that is production.. not good practice if you are not plan your infrastructure network.. since that is large network.. you need to plan.consider the existing network, and different subnet scope addresses.