Falke

SCCM R3 - Deploying VMM and DPM Admin Consoles

Question

Hi all,

As I am just new to SCCM I need some Information on the following issues:

1. I need to deploy the admin console of MS Virtual Machine Manager 2010 silently to SCCM Clients (mostly Windows 2008 R2 Servers). I know that there is a file called vmmclient.msi on the \i386\msi\Client folder on the DVD. Has anyboddy already done that? If yes, could you please provide assistance? I have created a package and an advertisement for this console but have not fired the adv yet.

2. The same is for the MS Data Protection Manager 2010 admin console. Is it possible to deploy only the console to client machine silently?

Could you please provide assistance on those issues.

Thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

1. Use this technet link to install the console silently http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc956062.aspx .If you have advertised the package,what does the log says(execmgr.log) if policy reached to client ?

2. installing DPM 2010 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399459.aspx

I havent tried both tthe options .

Eswar,

Thank you very much for your swoft reply.

Regrading the VMM Console: I created a bat file that worked on a target sever. Now I am currently creating a package and distributing it to the Distribution point.

When the Console is installed I have to enter the server name each time I start it, although I have provided the VMM Servername in the VMClien.ini file. Do you have an idea how to avoid providing the server name each time the console starts?

2. With regard to the second link: it points to installing the DPM Agent and not the console..Well, I haven't tried it yet, but it describes the agent installation.

I appreciate your responce.

Eswar,

Thank you very much for your swoft reply.

Regrading the VMM Console: I created a bat file that worked on a target sever. Now I am currently creating a package and distributing it to the Distribution point.

When the Console is installed I have to enter the server name each time I start it, although I have provided the VMM Servername in the VMClien.ini file. Do you have an idea how to avoid providing the server name each time the console starts?

2. With regard to the second link: it points to installing the DPM Agent and not the console..Well, I haven't tried it yet, but it describes the agent installation.

I appreciate your responce.

1.did you specify the server name in command prompt while installing the VMM console like below :

setup.exe /server /i /f <path>\VMServer.ini ?

2.I am not sure igf you can install DPM Console on multiple computers to manage DPM server . check this thread http://www.ms-news.net/f770/install-dpm-administration-console-on-remote-computers-11840188.html

1.did you specify the server name in command prompt while installing the VMM console like below :

setup.exe /server /i /f <path>\VMServer.ini ?

Yes I did. I entered the server name in the VMClient.ini as descriped. VMMServerName=>VMMServername<

The script will install the console if executed manually on the target client, however, deploying it with SCCM fails..! How did you enter the commandline in the commandline filed of the program? Did you create a bat file? Which steps are required?

2.I am not sure igf you can install DPM Console on multiple computers to manage DPM server . check this thread http://www.ms-news.net/f770/install-dpm-administration-console-on-remote-computers-11840188.html

Yes, I agree with you!