SCCM_ConfigMgr

Build & Capturing XP wim using MDT 2010 TS from SCCM

Question

I have SCCM R3 with MDT 2010 Update 1

Q1: Should I receive the Windows Setup Wizard on my reference machine post Image Capture?

Q2: Can the State Capture, State Restore & Gather Logs Groups within TS be disabled is User State Capture is not required?

I am trying to build and capture a Windows XP SP2 reference machine in order to deploy. I am using the MDT Client Task Seq - which successfully completes and captures a .wim image - however post capture I am receiving a Windows Setup Wizard asking for all the settings that I have already specified within the Task Sequence or the SysPrep file along with Unattend.txt

I followed the MDT SCCM TS guide to customise the CustomSettings.ini file as:

[settings]

Priority=Default

Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]

OSInstall=Y

DoCapture=Yes

1 answer to this question

Just tossing out my two cents on your two questions (guess that's a penny a question)...

1. Depending on your setup, yeah, you'll see the Windows Setup Wizard appear after capturing the image. It's just running that as a matter of course after doing the task sequence. If your capture was a success you can simply power off the machine - no need to finish it unless you want to poke around on the system to quickly see what got installed (or left out). If it really bothers you, you could probablly add a step to your task sequence to copy over a sysprep.inf file specifically for the capture machine so that when it's done it reads through it and finishes up without manual interaction. In my opinion it's not worth it (especially as XP is heading out the door - focus on the future and don't get too bogged down in little details unless they're critical).

2. Yeah, you can get rid of all the state capture stuff if you want. I think there's only like 3 or 4 task sequence steps that are a MUST HAVE. When in doubt, go in under the Options tab and select to disable them. That way if you find out you need them it's a quick click to uncheck the box and get them back.