npsinghnz

Auto re install applications on reimaging or fresh install

Question

Hi,

This is the scenario.

A machine is advertised, say 5 applications. Some days later the machine is formatted but then installed (not sure if by OSD) using the old Hostname etc.

How would all the applications come back on the machine?

My idea is to repackage all and use GPO but the client wanted an SCCM based solution.

3 answers to this question

1. Set up a collection in SCCM that uses a membership query to check for the existence of the application (so only machines that don't have the version you're pushing out will show up in the collection).

2. Create your package and set your advertisement to always rerun.

The machine shows up in the collection if someone uninstalls the app, or if it gets reimaged. And once it gets the app, it falls out of the collection.

Here's an example of a collection query for Firefox:

select * from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.ResourceID not in (select SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.ResourceID from SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS where SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.DisplayName = "Mozilla Firefox (4.0.1)" and SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.Version = "4.0.1 (en-US)")

1. Set up a collection in SCCM that uses a membership query to check for the existence of the application (so only machines that don't have the version you're pushing out will show up in the collection).

2. Create your package and set your advertisement to always rerun.

The machine shows up in the collection if someone uninstalls the app, or if it gets reimaged. And once it gets the app, it falls out of the collection.

Here's an example of a collection query for Firefox:

select * from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.ResourceID not in (select SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.ResourceID from SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS where SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.DisplayName = "Mozilla Firefox (4.0.1)" and SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.Version = "4.0.1 (en-US)")

Thanks Lucid!

I have a similiar problem. We installed Office 2010, but in the process of install, the client system rebooted. This caused the first initial install to fail. eventually the sccm did install the package. However, sccm never saw this install as being "successful" but rather as "running". We uninstalled the program, but we are now waiting for the sccm to reinstall Office 2010. Would we use the above statement for this procedure? Is there a way via the console to initiate a redeploy (push) of Office to a system that had it already installed?

Thanks again

We don't do a whole lot with "push" technology where I'm at - being more of a "pull" environment, but if you're talking about a manual, one-off method, have you checked out some of the right-click tools available from the web? You should be able to right-click on a client within the console and tell it to rerun an advertisement.

Otherwise, you could certainly create a second collection and use a membership query to populate it based on failure of a specific advertisement. I don't have a query on hand for this, but I'm sure you could find one on the web if this is the route you wanted to take.

The other option is to just sit back and let the scheduled advertisement kick in and re-install it for you according to your schedule. Of course, Office is more of a "must-have" app, and I wouldn't want to wait that long; so if it was me, I'd resort to one of the above to quickly take care of the problem.

On a side note, you might also see if you put a time limit on the Package's Program - so that after X amount of time SCCM determines that it failed...