jpodlipny

Wipe and Load using SCCM

Question

Hello,

I have not been able to find much on this topic, could someone please help?

I'd like to collect the data using USMT in SCCM to a SMP.

Reimage the computer

Load the data back from the SMP.

This is the problem I'm having.

When I run the scanstate task sequnce, the in-Place association is created automatically, which is nice.

The data gets stored on the SMP, which is also good because we cannot use hardlink due to disk encryption.

I now reimage the computer by adding into our PXE image load collection, reboot and the image gets applied with the same computername. OK, all good so far.

Now I need to get the data back from the SMP to this machine. Here is the problem.

The computername is now obsolete in SCCM and a new (identical) computer name has been created, which is active. This is due to the fact that it's still the same MAC address.

The only way you can send the loadstate task sequence to this machine now is to delete the old, obsolete computername.

But if you do that, you also delete the original association.

So how do you actually go about to load the data back from the SMP?

4 answers to this question

So your main issue is really a result of the disk encryption.

Typically you would simply refresh the existing box in-place. This isn't possible do to your encryption, so you almost have to treat it like a replace scenario, old hardware to new hardware. When you PXE boot the machine, it's basically a new item, there is no associaton, that's where you're getting into a bind. It's not designed to do what you are trying to do with it. It's seeing the MAC is the same, so it's creating a new record, and thus the in-place assocation doesn't work. You would have to create an assocation to a new object just like new hardware, but since it uses the MAC, that's an issue.

Another option would to not use the SMP and simply dump the user data to a network share.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I’m almost relieved to read your comments because the amount of time I’ve spent on this was doing my head in. At least now I know it’s not doable.

Fortunately I do have a command prompt task sequence in place as well, where we can just dump the files anywhere without that pesky encryption and SMP.

Thanks!