glen8

HP Pro 4000 (Intel 82567V-4 NIC) WinPE Driver Issue

Question

Hi all,

Started a new job a month ago and have been working with a contractor on SCCM 2007. Never used it before then but I am picking it up quite quickly. The contractor has gone now but we still have an ongoing issue with a new model of HP desktop. It's a HP PRO 4000 SFF and looks to have an Intel 82567V-4 NIC installed.

Last week we had to deploy seven systems that day so I ended up manually building the system from CDs, then I created a USB boot disk to run SCCM to capture the image locally. Then I copied the .wim to the network. That all worked great but the issue we have is now deploying the .wim via the network on PXE boot.

The other machines PXE boot into Windows PE but do not get an IP address. I have the console enabled in the boot image so can F8 into DOS. When I run an ipconfig all I get is:

Windows IP Configuration

Now looking on the internet it seems the boot image does not have the correct driver. I have downloaded the driver from HPs website, intels website and as a last resort toshibas website (older version) and injecting one by one the drivers into the boot image. Unfortunately none of them seem to be working ARGH! The image we are deploying is Windows XP 32bit. Just as a test I have even tried booting a Windows Vista and 7 32bit and 64bit images with the Vista/7 drivers. Even that didn't work. The boot image only has one driver at a time as to avoid any potential driver conflicts.

To make matters worse we have 50 coming today we need to be built from this .wim image

Please help!!!!!! Thanks, Glen.

I have the same problem with Dell Optiplex 380 machines - but I am trying to image them with Windows 7 Enterprise x64 (although I have also tried x86 both SP1 and not SP1). They have a Broadcom Net Extreme chipset and I have tried multiple sources for a driver that will work with the WinPE boot image. I can as well get in to Windows PE, run the first sequences in my task sequence - but as soon as I reach the task "Setting up Windows and Configuration Manager" my TS fails. I have found no errors in my SMSTS log. As well, if I enter the console and run ipconfig, there is no ip address or network device listed. I know my OSD works as I have no issues with a number of other systems in our district. Most of which are Dell. I have tried removing all drivers and adding in only those specific to the Optiplex 380. Ive also tried adding in only the network driver, and then multiple combinations between chipset, video and audio drivers. Another thing I have tried is removing the add driver TS and injecting the drivers into the wim file. Again no luck.

The most luck I have had has been removing the add driver task sequence, and the TS makes it past "Setting up Windows and Configuration Manager". Once windows loads the first time all the rest of the steps fail as no network driver is found. (Even in the Windows 7 images that have the driver injected). Afterwards I have tested that I have the correct driver by installing the one set up in the TS which works perfectly! I'm lost!! I'm not sure if my next step is to contact microsoft about the issue. Anyways, if anyone may be able to shed some light on either of our situations that would be great!

Thanks in advance... :blink:

Hi all,

Started a new job a month ago and have been working with a contractor on SCCM 2007. Never used it before then but I am picking it up quite quickly. The contractor has gone now but we still have an ongoing issue with a new model of HP desktop. It's a HP PRO 4000 SFF and looks to have an Intel 82567V-4 NIC installed.

Last week we had to deploy seven systems that day so I ended up manually building the system from CDs, then I created a USB boot disk to run SCCM to capture the image locally. Then I copied the .wim to the network. That all worked great but the issue we have is now deploying the .wim via the network on PXE boot.

The other machines PXE boot into Windows PE but do not get an IP address. I have the console enabled in the boot image so can F8 into DOS. When I run an ipconfig all I get is:

Windows IP Configuration

Now looking on the internet it seems the boot image does not have the correct driver. I have downloaded the driver from HPs website, intels website and as a last resort toshibas website (older version) and injecting one by one the drivers into the boot image. Unfortunately none of them seem to be working ARGH! The image we are deploying is Windows XP 32bit. Just as a test I have even tried booting a Windows Vista and 7 32bit and 64bit images with the Vista/7 drivers. Even that didn't work. The boot image only has one driver at a time as to avoid any potential driver conflicts.

To make matters worse we have 50 coming today we need to be built from this .wim image

Please help!!!!!! Thanks, Glen.

Forgot to mention - have you checked your SMSTS log? Is there any errors listed in that at all? What are all the steps listed in your TS?

Windows PE is based upon windows 7, so you need t inject the appropriate windows 7 drivers... then you will also need the appropriate drivers in your driver store for the OS you are working with (XP, Vista, Windows7). These would be installed via apply driver package or auto apply driver step.

Again, for winpe to have a correct IP, you need the correct windows 7 driver added to the appropriate boot image.

ConfigMgr SP2 is WAIK 2.0 which is windows 7 based

WAIK 2.1 is windows 7 sp1

ConfigMGr SP1 is WAIK 1.0 which is Vista

MDT 2010 uses WAIK 2.0 (win7)

MDT 2008 uses WAIK 1.0 (vista)

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Like I said, I'm very new at this and have taken over from the contractor so I was never involved in the installation.

The server is on Windows Server 2008 R2 and it's SCCM 2007 SP2 (no R2 or R3). This afternoon I had a look at the boot images and I think the contractor got them from the C:\SMS_LIN\ folder so I assume these boot images came from SCCM itself? I've removed all the drivers from the boot image and only then installed one NIC at a time. Then I updated the DP and made sure the TS was using the correct boot wim. The driver I tried earlier was a Windows 7 driver from the HP website but it still didn't work. I doubt anything is wrong with my TS as if WinPE can't get an IP address then it won't get as far as reading the tasks. Looking at the part where it says 'Windows is loading files' the correct boot.wim is being used.

I did notice an extra folder appear on the TS lists called MDT so looks like someone has installed MDT? (no idea what version though)

No idea where I am going wrong :-(

drivers should be added/removed from within the configmgr console (boot image properties)

if you are using WAIk to add drivers, then they need to be added to the winpe.wim file, not hte winpexxxxxx.wim file.

If MDT has been integrated into your console, you will have a new option under the right-click menu for boot media and for task seqeuences called "Microsoft deployment...", MDT extensions are a PER-console basis.

Thanks I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm next in work. Would you mind please telling me the location of that log?

also, as a side issue yesterday I attempted to add a new boot image so I could test various drivers without messing up the boot images already installed (this is a live production server you see).

I must have done something wrong because here's what I did....

configmgr console

Copied boot.wim from C:\SMS_LIN\...\...\..\x64\boot.wim to C:\TEST\x64\boot.wim

Clicked on Boot Images

Clicked on Add new Boot Image

Located my test boot.wim, next, next, finish

Managed and updated the DP. Checked in the servers DP share and it is sitting in there ok.

Went into my task and pointed to the newly created boot image. I cleared all PXE annoucememnts and any advertisements. Restarted WDS service just to make sure everything was good.

Imported my .csv file with my machines MAC address (bare metal desktop) and assigned it my a collection. Advertised my task to the collection. Booted up the desktop and it won't PXE boot.

Checked the PXE logs on the server and it has a message 'PXE no boot device found'

If I set my task back to one of the original boot images already on the server it all works fine

any ideas? Ideally I'd like to get a new boot image so I can test all these drivers out. Thanks, Glen.