glen8

Auto Apply Drivers vs Apply Driver Packs

Question

Hi all,

We currently have say 5 different models of laptops in our organisation. To simplify things I have created 5 driver folders and installed all of the drivers from the manufacturers website. Then I assigned each one to their own driver pack. so...5 driver folders and 5 driver packs.

Ideally I'd like to create a single deployment task to install one wim for all 5 models of laptop.

Not sure I fully understand this, but my thinking is that the Auto Apply Driver task within the OSD looks at the entire driver share and takes only what it needs. This 'should' be enough to work on all our 5 models of laptops. The problem is that it doesn't work. Currently we have 5 tasks where each one specifies it's own driver pack.

Have I misunderstood how it works?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Yes of course, I will reply tomorrow when I'm next in work. Basically you run a simple command on your client machines in DOS which reports back a text string.

Earlier I did it on an HP 4000 Desktop which came back 'HP Compaq 4000 PRO SFF' and a Dell D531 Laptop which came back with 'Dell Latitude D531'

When you have all the model strings for the various machines on your network you create an OSD Task and add in all the driver packs one by one (assuming you know how to do this, if not shout). Then on each driver task you click the second tab on the top which lets you set a filter. You start by selecting an IF statement and select all when the window pops up. Then you add a WMI filter. In the box you paste in a command and enter your model string.

Basically when the OSD task runs it goes to the first driver package, looks at the IF statement and decides if it matches or not. If not it goes to the next driver pack and so on.

I'll reply tomorrow with the commands. I've already tested it and it works a treat.

• Like 1

Run this from a command prompt on your clients:

WMIC CSProduct Get Name

That will give you its model name. Then put the model name in the following query:

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE "%MODEL GOES HERE%"

Put that in the options tab on each of your driver pack tasks