j1mmyd3an

OSD task sequence error 0x80070643

Question

Hi there, I'm having a software installation problem that I've caved in on and need some help. First off, I'm working with SCCM 2007 R3. I am trying to deploy a software package during OSD and it fails with error 0x80070643. While I have found many different topics covering this error, none of the suggestions I have read have been very helpful. In addition, the only error code I was getting from msiexec was 1603 which couldn't be more generic. After enabling msi verbose logging I have found that the installation is failing about half way through with:

Script Warning: Reboot is pending

Script info: Cancelling installation because of pending reboot

Script info: RebootPending() return code: -3

After learning this, I have moved the software installation task up and down my task sequence to see if the order of the tasks was causing this. Unfortunately this didn't fix anything... After that I created a new task sequence and copied/pasted the software installation section from my OSD task seqence into it, so it just included the software installation task. I advertised the "software only" task sequence to a test collection and the software installed perfectly. So I guess I have determined that my software package works OK, and it can be deployed with a task sequence but just not during OSD. My goal is to have it work during OSD though so that's why I'm posting. If anyone could shed even a little light on my situation it would be greatly appreciated. I'm really frustrated by this and feel as though I'm so close, but just not enough obviously.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Are you executing an msi directly from within the task sequence? a .cmd or a .bat? programs are designed to run from the distribution point directly during OSD. Have you tried writing a script to copy the source directory to a temp folder locally and then executing the msi from there? You could try the following in a batchfile:

xcopy "%~dp0*.*" /e /s /y "%TEMP%\(program source)\"

cd "%TEMP%\(program source)"

(msiexec command to execute msi goes here, ie msiexec /i pathtomsi)

Are you executing an msi directly from within the task sequence? a .cmd or a .bat? programs are designed to run from the distribution point directly during OSD. Have you tried writing a script to copy the source directory to a temp folder locally and then executing the msi from there? You could try the following in a batchfile:

copy "%~dp0*.*" /e /s /y %TEMP%\(program source)

cd %TEMP%\(program source)

(msiexec command to execute msi goes here, ie msiexec /i pathtomsi)

Thanks for the reply. I am deploying the program using the "Install Software" task within the task sequence and specifying the software distribution package I have created. The package is pointed to the source folder for the install files and I'm using "msiexec /i" in the command line field within the package to install the MSI file located in the source. I know the package works because it tests successfully when deloyed using its own task sequence. I will certainly try your suggestion though, I really appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Is its own task sequence being run through run advertised programs in windows or are you running it by itself through OSD? Also sorry for the mixup but i posted the wrong command, it should be xcopy not copy and enclose your paths with quotes see above as i edited my previous post.

Thanks

Sorry for the delay, I've been tied up... It's own task sequence is being advertised as a mandatory task sequence on a collection I created just to test it with. I litereally copied and pasted the content do deploy the software from the OSD task sequence into it's own. After a PC is added to the test collection the software distributes successfully. It just doesn't work during OSD... Most frustrating.

Thanks again for your input, any suggestions are always most welcome.