evitagen

WUSA.EXE and SCCM

Question

I'm fairly new to SCCM and currently I am working to setup Software Updates to deploy monthly updates for Windows 7. I've been testing uninstalling updates using wusa.exe, and I am able to successfully uninstall updates when running this command locally on a PC from an elevated command prompt. However, when I try to deploy a package that uses this same command I am receiving the following error in the Event Viewer of the machine receiving the advertisement:

"Windows update could not be uninstalled because of error 2147549183 "Catastrophic failure" (Command line: ""C:\windows\system32\wusa.exe" /uninstall /kb:######)

I need to be able to automate the rollback process since we have a large environment. I've tried multiple methods of deploying, including deploying through a task sequence via a command line, deploying a batch file with the command, or simply entering the command into the command line field of my package program properties. All of these efforts have been met with the same results.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this same issue or if anyone can tell me how they handle the rollback of updates in Windows 7 when using a SUP.

Thanks

1 answer to this question