goalie8174

XP to 7 migrate software..

Question

We are migrating from XP to Win7 using SCCM - Hard Link migration.. Our task sequence will include all of our software standards, those common to all PC's..

My question is about non standard software.. Software that is already packaged and deployed in SCCM.

Has anyone figured out a way to have non - standard software that was installed on the PC when it was XP, be re-installed automatically after the Task Sequence finishes the Win7 install?

For example..

on PC1234, it has Acrobat X Suite, running Windows XP SP3... It would be great for the task sequence or SCCM to recognize that Acrobat X Suite install and after the Win 7 installation, install Acrobat X Suite back down.

Since we have 5000+ pc's i wouldn't want to be creating a new TS for each PC that has some software that is outside the standards...

1 answer to this question

I think that's all going to depend on how you deploy your software. For example, if you use Active Directory domain groups to control the deployments, then you could always script something to cruise through the current machine and then add the computer account object to the corresponding domain group - if that piece of software is already installed. Then after it's imaged, that software would flow back down (it might take a bit depending on your discovery times). Of course, there may be other methods, but like I said, it may depend on your particular environment...