DavidP

Errors Imaging Formerly Encrypted (by Bit Locker) Machines

Question

We've got several laptops that we've had to re-image due to a virus, where the hard drive had been encrypted by bit locker. These are all Lenovo laptops, a few different models, and they all use the TPM chip.

We couldn't un-encrypt the drive before we re-imaged, but we did use diskpart to remove all partitions and clean the disk. We even tried using a new disk right out of the package. We also turned off the TPM through BIOS.

During the imaging, it gets to applying the OS image, 1-4 squares, then errors out with an 80070241 error. Upon checking the SMSTS logs, I get a different error each time I try.

Here is one of the erros:

Failed to save environment to (80070057) TSManager 11/30/2011 7:16:58 PM 1328 (0x0530)

Failed to save the current environment block. This is usually caused by a problem with the program. Please check the Microsoft Knowledge Base to determine if this is a known issue or contact Microsoft Support Services for further assistance.

The parameter is incorrect. (Error: 80070057; Source: Windows)
Failed to persist execution state. Error 0x(80070057) TSManager 11/30/2011 7:16:58 PM 1328 (0x0530)

Failed to save execution state and environment to local hard disk

I tried to get some other errors I had seen in the past, but couldn't reproduce them. I'm hoping someone here has seen this problem and can give me some ideas on what to try. I will try to get more logs, but now some of them are coming up without any errors in them.

1 answer to this question

So no one's got anything on the 80070241 error, or the 80070057 error? I'm 90% sure that it's because we had bit-locker enabled and we were unable to decrypt the drive and turn off the TPM before re-imaging. I just took another laptop (same model as our SSD one), made sure bit-locker was off, and had the TPM reset to factory default. I was able to image that laptop, and put that drive into the one we were getting the errors on. With that drive in there, I did a reset of the TPM, but even with a brand new drive (that had never been encrypted), we were not able to push the image down. We still got the 80070241 error. We've even tried going into BIOS and hiding the security chip, but that didn't help.

If anyone's got any idea's, I'm willing to try it. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave