StueyT

WEIRD issue doing a PXE boot

Question

Hi all,

I have an issue getting machines to PXE boot. We've moved into a new building on a new network structure and our servers are now on a different subnet to clients. Our whole approach to PXE booting has therefore changed. Servers are on Subnet A, and clients (including build area) are on subnet B.

At first, we had issues getting the clients to communicate with the SCCM server once they had picked up a DHCP, so we added the IP-Helper command on our Cisco router and now with clients we can get to the 'TFTP......' stage of the PXE boot, which eventually times out. This happens with each variant of our HP 7900, 8000 and 8100 client PCs. Thats fine, we haven't got the Boot Image Location option set on our DHCP server. To do this, we need to follow our company's change process which can take days. At this point, I went on a few days holiday and planned to deal with it on my return.

In the meantime, my colleague (without knowing the stage I was at at resolving the imaging process) attempted to deploy a server build to a HP DL380. This went through perfectly! He hasn't changed anything SCCM or DHCP-wise. I've since retried the aforementioned client PCs, and they still time out at the 'TFTP....' stage.

Any ideas? Am I missing something totally obvious?

4 answers to this question

Cheers, but we have IP helper commands in for both DHCP and the PXE servers already.

The boundaries are all fine too.

It's just strange how that server can get to the PXe Service Point fine, yet the clients can't...

No, Subnet B. I've tried it myself with the same server and after it worked successfully I pulled the cable and put it into each of the client PCs mentioned, which resulted in the TFTP timeout. The same cable on the same subnet, all picking up a DHCP assigned address.