Dick

Can IP Range Boundary Overlap AD Site Boundary

Our environment consists of one default AD site. We have many different geographic locations connected via VPN. Therefore, we have one subnet (HQ) I would consider “fast”. All of our remote locations I would consider to be “slow”. My question is what would be the best way to configure the boundaries. If I choose Active Directory site, I cannot specify that remote VPN locations have a slow connection. From my research thus far, it seems this should be defined in the boundaries when pushing software or updates. If we set up an IP range boundary for every site, is there any reason we would need the AD Site boundary? If there were the AD Site boundary, would that conflict/cause problems with the IP range boundaries as all our computers would fall into the AD site boundary as well as the IP range boundary for that subnet.

Thanks,

Dick

The biggest issue with overlapping boundaries are in the Site Assignment, which occur when a client is in multiple boundaries and by that assigned to different Sites. But if you can cover everyting with IP Subnets- Range I would always prefer that above AD Site.

I wrote a post about overlapping boundaries in ConfigMgr 2012 here± http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/post/overlapping-boundaries-and-configmgr-2012/