DancingFerret

Managing Missing updates

Question

Hi,

Any recommendations on the best way to manage systems that may have updates missing from say beginning of the year, some from last year or the year before?

As an example a new system comes online that is missing these updates, what the best way to ensure systems like these are automatically captured and patched?

There is a lot of docs around monthly patching but not much on managing bulk missing patches, on systems that may be missing a lot of patches from months or years gone past.

any pointers or links that you guys would recommend/

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Are the missing updates not being advertised to that system somehow?

As it it stands I don't know what will or will not be missing. These will be systems migrated from another environment, so the question is best way to cacth and patch as they migrate, and do this by having something in place , pre-emptively.

If you have deployed all the available/desired patches and have them advertised to a collection then the machines will scan themselves against your SUP and install any missing updates upon being assimilated into your SCCM environment. You can then use reporting, assuming you have setup an update list or lists, to view their compliance levels.

I have a separate package for each year's updates, except for 2003 - 2005 which are small enough to fit into one package. I leave them advertised to my update collection 24-7 and only mess with them when an update gets superceeded or expires. This way all of the patches are constantly available and you'll never have to worry about a missing update.

When the migrated machines get the SCCM client installed they will then be able to scan themselves against your SUP according to your configured scan time and install any updates according to your maintenance windows.

If you have deployed all the available/desired patches and have them advertised to a collection then the machines will scan themselves against your SUP and install any missing updates upon being assimilated into your SCCM environment. You can then use reporting, assuming you have setup an update list or lists, to view their compliance levels.

I have a separate package for each year's updates, except for 2003 - 2005 which are small enough to fit into one package. I leave them advertised to my update collection 24-7 and only mess with them when an update gets superceeded or expires. This way all of the patches are constantly available and you'll never have to worry about a missing update.

When the migrated machines get the SCCM client installed they will then be able to scan themselves against your SUP according to your configured scan time and install any updates according to your maintenance windows.

Thanks, This is the route I'll also be going down :)