Fazza

The file does not contain a valid boot image

Question

I've been an avid user of Norton/Symantec Ghost for a number of years now and thought it's about time I gave Windows Deployment Services a go but I seem to be having a problem setting it up.

The server I have available to me is a WIndows Server 2003 SP2 box that has nothing on it apart from all the latest Microsoft Updates. It's configured in isolation to the rest of the network as I want to use it in a test environment before going live with it. As such it is the only server in my test domain and is running DNS and DHCP.

I installed WDS by ticking a box in the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel and ticked the appropriate boxes that are required when installing on a box with DHCP/DNS running on it.

I'm trying to follow the guide on the Microsoft Website and after installing WDS, it tells me I need to configure a Boot Image so I right-click on Boot Images, click on Add Boot Image and then I browse to the Sourcethis file does not contain a valid boot imagethis file does not contain a valid boot images folder of my Vista Business disk and select Boot.wim and after clicking on Next it tells me that The file does not contain a valid boot image.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 answer to this question

**Problem Solved**

I was connecting to a network share on our Programs server where I had extracted the Vista Business ISO image to a folder and browsing to the boot.wim file that way.

I have now burnt the volume licence key ISO image to a DVD and browsed to the boot.wim file that way and it has now worked.