cmb-rob

PXE-E53 "No boot filename received"

Question

Hello,

We have been booting from PXE for quite some time now. The WDS server (Windows Server 2003 SP 2) was running very slow and I had to restart the server. The server also runs Deployment Workbench and does not run DHCP. After restarting the server, PXE boot is not working anymore and is giving the PXE-E53 error. The person who installed it has left our company, so I am unsure where to start. Any assistance would be appreciated and if you need more information, just let me know.

Thanks,

Rob

6 answers to this question

Hello Rob,

First off, you'll want to find out if the last guy who managed your ConfigMgr infrastructure set up PXE booting by using 1) DHCP options, or 2) IP helper addresses on the routers. Depending on the answer to this, will determine how you continue troubleshooting. If your network is using IP helper addresses, is it possible that the network team disabled this configuration on the routers recently?

Cheers,

Trevor Sullivan

http://trevorsullivan.net

http://twitter.com/pcgeek86

Hello Rob,

First off, you'll want to find out if the last guy who managed your ConfigMgr infrastructure set up PXE booting by using 1) DHCP options, or 2) IP helper addresses on the routers. Depending on the answer to this, will determine how you continue troubleshooting. If your network is using IP helper addresses, is it possible that the network team disabled this configuration on the routers recently?

Cheers,

Trevor Sullivan

http://trevorsullivan.net

http://twitter.com/pcgeek86

Trevor,

Thanks for responding.

I asked our network administrators here and they have not made any changes to our routers or the network and he said it was setup by DHCP options.

I am not sure if this makes a difference or not with troubleshooting but, I can boot from the Windows Deployment Services .iso boot images to Litetouch and from there it will connect to our deployment server.

- Rob

When looking for a solution to your problem I came across this TechNet forums thread where Kim Oppalfens, a Microsoft MVP, and Nico Sienaert suggests restarting the WDS service or removing the resource from configmgr and re-import it.

I also found this TechNet blog which explains troubleshooting PXE service point issues and WDS service not starting.

Please let us know what happens when you try the above recommended solutions.

Jessica

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

For starters, DHCP options are not needed when the server does not host DHCP, these are only needed if the DHCP service runs on the same server as your WDS.

Have you tried an uninstall(remove role)...restart.....reinstall(add role) without deleting the RemoteInstall folder?

How do you mean the WDS server was running very slow??

slow at pxe booting machine to pull down boot.wim?

at OS install time?

If it is the second then maybe something is up with your network and not WDS

So I guess there were changes made to the DHCP server and scope options 66 & 67 were not enabled. Once I added scope option 66 and pointed it to the name of my server and option 67 to boot\x86\wdsnbp.com

Everything worked!! Thanks for all the assistance on this issue.

Hi cmb-rob

That is interesting as i was taught that you only specify these options if and only if the DHCP service runs on the same server as the PXE\WDS server..which yours does not!!

Well atleast it is back up and running for you... :D

Rocket Man