roharris33

Install software from task sequence to specific collection

I apologize if there is something on this site about this. I've searched and searched but cannot find an answer. I have several printer deployments that are packages. I've also created collections for each department. I want to add all of the printer packages to my task sequence then add a condition to install a specific printer for a specific collection that the object is a member of. I've searched the internet but cannot seem to find a solution. I know that I can add a variable to the collection but since I want to automate the process that really isn't an option. What I've done so far is add a if statement followed by a WMI Query. I added the Query and tested but I get a "contains invalid syntax" error message followed by "Porrible reason: Invalid query. Basically the query should check the collection membership based on the computer name. At this point I don't even know if this is possible. Has anyone ever tried something like this? Are my commands wrong? I've also included my query below.

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Name = SMS_R_System.Name in (select sys.resourceid from SMS_CM_RES_COLL_"CollectionName" AS coll, sms_r_system as sys where sys.resourceid = coll.resourceid)

Any help will be appreciated.

Okay I'm new to this so I apologize in advance. I created a test query that returns the object in that particular collection. However I used this query in the task sequence and it failed. I think the reason that it failed is because it's not calling the name from the local computer. That's why I added FROM Win32_ComputerSystem. I'm wondering how I can call the local computer name and check the specified collection for that computer name.

select SMS_R_System.Name from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.Name in (select sys.resourceid from SMS_CM_RES_COLL_"CollectionName" AS coll, sms_r_system as sys where sys.resourceid = coll.resourceid)

Okay I'm new to this so I apologize in advance. I created a test query that returns the object in that particular collection. However I used this query in the task sequence and it failed. I think the reason that it failed is because it's not calling the name from the local computer. That's why I added FROM Win32_ComputerSystem. I'm wondering how I can call the local computer name and check the specified collection for that computer name.

select SMS_R_System.Name from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.Name in (select sys.resourceid from SMS_CM_RES_COLL_"CollectionName" AS coll, sms_r_system as sys where sys.resourceid = coll.resourceid)

Any news on your side for this topic? Did you found another way to make it work?

I have the same issue here.

I want in a Task Sequence to install application base on the membership of the machine in differents collections.

Thanks

Carl

Carl