Iroqouiz

Office 2010 Updates are not installed in deploy task sequence

Hi,

I'm having issues with Windows Updates for Office 2010 during OSD. My normal deploy TS are just not installing them. Windows 7 Updates install just fine.

All machines are recognized as "bare metal" by my server, even in refresh scenarios. So my TS is deployed to the All Unknown Computers collection. I've deployed my two Software Update Groups (Windows 7 and Office 2010) to the All Unknown Computers collection. This made the TS fail (smsts log says Timedout waiting for updates refresh complete notification).

If I remove the Office 2010 Updates deployment the Windows 7 Updates are being installed in the TS.

I have tried creating more Install Software Updates steps in my TS, with scans and reboots in between, but nothing works. I have tried calling scripts that are supposed to trigger WU to allow installation of updates other than Windows 7. No luck.

My TS looks like this, some steps are disabled by me for testing purposes

eEk1Y.png

I can't believe how difficult Software Updates are to manage in SCCM 2012. We have a WSUS server separate from my WSUS installation on the SCCM server, but this shouldn't mess things up during a TS, right?

Without trying to sound to smart here...I see that install applications are after your updates......by any chance is office one of these applications thus meaning that the office updates can not install and will not install because office has not been applied yet?

Might as well deny that WSUS policy and see what happens. I had to remove our WSUS GP's to get SCCM ADR's working.

Thanks for the tip. I will try to test that, if management will allow me. I just think it's weird that the Windows 7 Updates work. If the problem was with WSUS GPOs, wouldn't those update also fail?

Yeah if 7 is updating then its not a problem with the gpo. But I am curious how the config manager client on that newly imaged machine knows what software is installed besides the O/S. Is it possible to run a hardware scan in the task sequence to get that data? Maybe it doesn't know office is installed so it just fails?