Question

Hi,

i have 2 exchange 2010 servers( exch1 and exch2) with a DAG configuration. All the active databases are on exch1. When i shut down exch1 server, databases of exch2 start working but outlook continues disconnected. I tried to configure a cas array using Network Load Balancing Manager, but it didn't let me to create the cluster because microsoft cluster service is installed.

What can I do for outlook works normally when one of the server is shutted down?

Thanks in advance.

2 answers to this question

Best practice is hardware loadbalancing appliance. The windows network load balancing in not recomendet for exchange 2010 cas anymore.

• HLB ( hardware load balance ) solution, This is what is being recommended.
  • SLB ( Software load balance) solution, This is also recommended.
  • Windows NLB ( network load balancing) This is no longer recommended

If you have not see Rose Smith video presentation do not miss it , How Outlook connects to Exchange 2010 Client Access Server

The main reason why HLB & SLB are recommended , these solutions provides “ Application awareness” and also managing CAS servers behind these type of deployment is very easy and efficient.

MAPI Request comes to HLB , HLB has CAS servers published within , Administrator easily can stop MAPI request going specific CAS server etc. These deployments are also far more stable and easy to configure IMO. I think we will see more official statement soon and expecting to see ending support recommendations to HLB with CAS in the near future.

• Like 2