impulse101

SCCM 2012 + UDI + Image Selection

Hello, i've been using the user driven instalaltion feature auf mdt 2012 with great success, for everyone who hasn't tried this, check it out, it's pretty awesome.

However, i've got troubles using the Image selection feature/page.

I've successfully added two windows image installers to the corresponding udi page. When i create a new MDT UDI Task Sequence i have to specify an os image i want to apply.

The apply operating system image step in the task sequence has the image/wim index hardcoded. So whatever i select in the udi dropdown gets ignored. Does anyone know how to make a dynamic selection ?

Im using SCCM 2012 RTM and MDT 2012. I haven't upgraded to mdt 2012 update 1 yet, can anyone fire up the udi wizard designer and check out if there are more options in the new version ?

Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

post-18184-0-15522300-1352921998_thumb.png

post-18184-0-26560300-1352921989_thumb.png

Have this exact problem. Asked around here and on Technet for advice but never got a reply.

My workaround is the following:

1. Create one UDI.xml file for each OSD task sequence I want where I specify which image should be applied (this is just cosmetic, so that my colleagues can verify which image they've chosen. Like you said, the actual image being applied is hardcoded in the TS).

2. In my "MDT package folder\scripts" I've created subfolders for each UDI.xml, naming them after which OS image it's going to install. In the subfolders I've also copied in UDIWizard.wsf and ZTIUtility.vbs. You need to edit UDIWizard.wsf in each subfolder so it can find your UDI.xml file (if you've renamed it, if it's standard it should be ok).

3. Create one TS for each UDI.xml file and set the correct OS image. In the step where the TS calls UDIWizard.wsf you need to make sure the path is correct, i.e. point it to your subfolder for that particular script.

No doubt this could be done easier than I've done, but this works great for me. Can't for the life of me understand why dynamic image selection with UDI doesn't work from the beginning though.

Have this exact problem. Asked around here and on Technet for advice but never got a reply.

My workaround is the following:

1. Create one UDI.xml file for each OSD task sequence I want where I specify which image should be applied (this is just cosmetic, so that my colleagues can verify which image they've chosen. Like you said, the actual image being applied is hardcoded in the TS).

2. In my "MDT package folder\scripts" I've created subfolders for each UDI.xml, naming them after which OS image it's going to install. In the subfolders I've also copied in UDIWizard.wsf and ZTIUtility.vbs. You need to edit UDIWizard.wsf in each subfolder so it can find your UDI.xml file (if you've renamed it, if it's standard it should be ok).

3. Create one TS for each UDI.xml file and set the correct OS image. In the step where the TS calls UDIWizard.wsf you need to make sure the path is correct, i.e. point it to your subfolder for that particular script.

No doubt this could be done easier than I've done, but this works great for me. Can't for the life of me understand why dynamic image selection with UDI doesn't work from the beginning though.

Just ran into the same issue where the user has multiple images to choose from however regardless of what was being selected the same image was being applied.

Here is the answer - http://deployment.cybertechcomputers.co.nz/MDT_Reference/ConfUDITaskSequToDeplDiffOperSys.htm

Essentially just create a task per every image you plan to deploy. Name the task appropriately, select the image, and set the task sequence variable condition for OSDImageName