Dave Valcourt

Question about Protected Distro Points and Boundaries

Hi,

I've got a question but first let me give a little background. We have SCCM 2007 in Native mode. There are five sites: One has the main SCCM server, three others are only set up as branch distribution points. The fifth site doesn't have a server and is in a slow/unreliable boundary. All sites except the fifth one receive updates and software packages fine.

The fifth site, as stated, is in a boundary that is on a slow/unreliable connection. It is protected by one of the branch distribution points.

After staring at this for a while now, I'm confusing myself so I'm posting this up here.

My initial thought was that the fifth site needs to be protected by a server with BITS enabled, and the only one that is is the main server. However the main doesn't allow me to set up as a protected site. I'm thinking that I need to remove the fifth site from the protection of the branch and this will let the clients try to connect directly to the main. Albeit it will be extremely slow due to BITS.

Am I wrong? or is there a better way? (BTW we only have one server at the fifth site and its over taxed as is... we will eventually put a BDP there as well)

based on what i read in the above post I would proberbly set it up this way if i was you:

Main Site (All link connections are good)

3 distrubution Points (all protected) - one for each current site/office

All clients report to the main site

Seconday site

1 dp share

All Clients assigned to the secondary site report to the secondary site

Then i would set it up a scheme forcing my secondary site to only syncronice/upload at night time (if your lan is that bad)

In my opionion you should allways try to have as little sites as possible, only use secondary sites if you have very slow lan connection.

What you are suggesting is definitely where we'd like to be. However, right now, the remote site (Portland) has a 1.5MB WAN link and maybe 10 users at one time. The sole server is a pizza box and is the DC, DHCP, Print server, etc, etc... not wanting to add SCCM DP to that. Other than making a user's computer the DP, we'll need to add a server, but that will have to wait.

Right now I have the Portland site no longer protected by any other site. Hopefully, this will allow them to download from the Main site. (BITS may prove to be an issue though and my experience there is limited.)

Thanks