nectormjr

SCCM PXE not booting up

Hi All,

I have my Lab environment

I'm having a hard time booting my client to PXE. Here are the things I have already enabled

1. Enabled PXE in both distribution point and boot images

2. Created a build and create image task sequence to all unknown computers

3. Distribute content of task sequence.

4.WDS is enabled by default

5. my DHCP server is running on my Domain controller and separate from my primary site server

I created another VM wherein I enabled the WDS role and the PXE was able to boot from the network. So I think the problem was on my SCCM configuration. I've already read many answers and follow their steps but still I can't get my client boot from PXE using the SCCM. I've read that I should not touch any WDS properties but when I check the WDS properties (PXE response). It is set on "do not respond on any client computers". Has it anything to do with my problem? :rolleyes:

No, don't touch WDS, as even though the setting says not to respond, there is another setting you have set (assuming you followed anyweb's guides), which says to respond from SCCM:

post-20536-0-71677800-1371711937_thumb.png

As far as I know, that should be what you need to allow WDS to respond.

There are three places you need PXE enabled for your computers to be able to successfuly boot to PXE for imaging:

From anywebs post on deploying W7:

for Deployment Settings keep the deployment as Available (optional) and make sure to select Make available to boot media and PXE, that makes it three places that you need to select a PXE option:-

* on the PXE tab of the distribution point properties
* on the Data Source tab of the boot image
*on the Deployment Settings of the task sequence deployment

Make sure they are all set.

Is this a VM or real pc that you are booting to PXE?

When you try to boot, does it have any error? Does it retireve an IP Address? Does it start to load anything, or just fail?

Phil

Hi Edenost,

Thanks for replying to my queries. After doing what you told me still the Client is still not booting up to SCCM PXE. I am using Hyper V for my test environment, the settings for the NIC is legacy and when I setup another WDS server, it was able to boot from PXE but when I shutdown the other WDS (for testing) it wont boot from SCCM PXE.

Attached are the settings that I did to my configmgr.

post-20331-0-82478300-1371763936_thumb.jpg

post-20331-0-09494800-1371763946_thumb.jpg

post-20331-0-38745900-1371763954_thumb.jpg

post-20331-0-93210500-1371763961_thumb.jpg

SMSPXE.log

Just had a thought, are the boot images deployed?

post-20536-0-96904900-1371798785_thumb.png

If it is greay, red or yellow, that will be the issue most likely.

Just distribute them in that case. Do it for both x86 and x64.

Just so you are sure, this is found under "Software Library\Operating Systems\Boot Images" unless you have changed it all.

Phil

Hi Edenost,

I already distribute both boot images to the distribute point, but still I can't get it work.

Please see attached images.

My only unknown computers is the default device collection unknown computers which is both x86 and x64, or do I have to create another collections?

post-20331-0-82818000-1371856747_thumb.jpg

post-20331-0-79551400-1371856788_thumb.jpg

post-20331-0-11537700-1371856817_thumb.jpg

post-20331-0-16789900-1371856847_thumb.jpg

Are the extra directories created in the remote install folder of your PXE server? SMSBoot etc...

Are the extra files inside the SMSBoot directory? abortpxe.com, bootmgr.exe, pxeboot.com, pxeboot.n12 and wdsnbp.com?

Is your VM getting an IP address from your DHCP server?

What is the error displayed when trying to PXE boot your VM?

Have you tried redistributing your boot images?

Is the WDS service running on the server?

And lastly there is no need to configure anything in WDS when using it in conjunction with SCCM.

Hi Rocket Man,

Are the extra directories created in the remote install folder of your PXE server? SMSBoot etc...

- yes RemoteInstall folder was created by default on my E: drive.

Are the extra files inside the SMSBoot directory? abortpxe.com, bootmgr.exe, pxeboot.com, pxeboot.n12 and wdsnbp.com?

- yes it is, please attached images,

Is your VM getting an IP address from your DHCP server?

- no it doesn't get any IP address, but like I said when I open my WDS server w/o SCCM it receive an IP address and a PXE boot.

What is the error displayed when trying to PXE boot your VM?

- boot failure. Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device.

Have you tried redistributing your boot images?

- yes Update distribution Point.

Is the WDS service running on the server?

- yes I have restarted it multiple times.

I am losing hope, I don't want to uninstall my ConfigMgr 2012 again and start from the beginning since is very tedious.

post-20331-0-40836900-1371899347_thumb.jpg