mittu83

Updating inventoried software under Asset Intelligence with custom labels

Hi,

I've a query related to tagging inventoried software discovered by Configuration Manager 2012 (with SP1) against custom labels created. Problem is, in my environment, I have close to 19,000 software discovered and over 1800 custom labels. And so tagging the software individually through the console is time consuming.

Could somebody point me any work around to complete the custom label mapping either using WMI scripting or SQL updates?

Any help appreciated.

Let me re-phase that. it is completely unsupported to do this via SQL. The only supported way to do this is via the SDK.

I know that it can be done as I have seen a POC of this type of thing before. I didn't write it so I don't have the code to do it either.

• Like 1

Dear Garth and Mittu

Thank you for your help with this issue. I have been involved in the same question but compared to you guys I am not that skilled. I wated to ask for more clarification on the things you mentioned if it doesn't bother you. What does SDK mean and how should I manage to fix this issue by using it. Poc ? MIttu83, did you manage with the information given ?

Thank you in advance guys!

POC = Proof of Concept

SDK = Software Development Kit

Basically you need to write you own code to do this. It sounds like this is not something that you have done before and as such you sure hire someone with experience to do this for you.

THank you for your reply ! I have an actual issue with reporting. Due to the fact that SCCM shows multiple instances of one software installed twice on one client machine. According to your experience, do you think it is a problem with SCCM reporting and could this be solved through poweshell reporting ? Or what do you suggest as a highly experienced person ?

Thank you in advance!

THank you for your reply ! I have an actual issue with reporting. Due to the fact that SCCM shows multiple instances of one software installed twice on one client machine. According to your experience, do you think it is a problem with SCCM reporting and could this be solved through poweshell reporting ? Or what do you suggest as a highly experienced person ?

This will not be a problem with CM12 Report. It will be a problem that exist on the computer 99.999% of the time. No Powershell will have the exact same problem. Any of the Microsoft Office products are the BIGGEST offenders of this issue. Exactly what problem are you trying to solve?

I understand you completely! :) I used labeling of software instances via Asset Intelligence labeling function in SCCM 2012. For example, Adobe Acrobat 8 standard shows 2 instances installed on one client machine after running the ""Software 10B - Computers with a specific custom-labeled software title"" as well as ""Software 02E"" to confirm that. I wondered if it is a problem with reporting with SCCM 2012 thats why I thought about a powershell commands that would either prove or reject my suspicions and asked you for professional help of course. This results in license fines due to the duplicate instances. I enclosed an output so please help me with your knowledge and skills :unsure: Thank you sincerely. There is also my email if you need any other stuff from me! Anton4ee@mail.bg

Computer Name Product Name Publisher Version Language Installation Type Product Family Product Category Product ID ABC189900 Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard Adobe 8.1 1033 Physically installed Content Applications Web Design and Development ABC189900 Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard Adobe 8.1 1033 Physically installed Content Applications Web Design and Development 16.

The report is generally run on

SQL Server Reporting Services

Asset Intelligence as you know :unsure:

I believe the issue is similar to that issue SCCM 2012 Software Inventory Duplication Issues again connected with duplicates but i got duplication results in differente reports Software 10B - Computers with a specific custom-labeled software title and Software 02E. How to remove this from SCCM exactly :)