P@docIT

Tablet PCs - Anyone successfully deploying these using CM 2012

I am curious if anyone is successfully deploying Windows 8 to tablet pcs over a network and if so how? The problem i seem to be running into is USB to Lan. How do pxe boot with these devices? I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Is boot media with embedded drivers for the usb to lan the way to go?

Looking forward to hearing thoughts and experiences on this, Our executive staff are really pushing for tablets. So far they just seem like a huge PITA.

Cheers,

Mike

Yes we are - Pressure from SMT really (shiney new toys please, make them work sysadmin b1tch!)

So, we have deployed Lenovo Tablet 2, Microsoft Surface Pro and Lenovo Helix.

First things first: Tablet 2 only supports 32-bit EFI - therefore, cannot boot from any other media (WinPE3 for example). This highlights a significant problem with SCCM boot media, that doesnt seem well documented: when you have created a boot media ISO in 2012 (WinPE4), it does not contain the required .efi to boot from USB. You must manually create a bootable pendrive (FAT32 only for EFI) and then copy the files \efi\boot\bootx64.efi for your x64 boot media and \efi\boot\bootia32.efi for x86 boot media. You can find these files on any Windows 8 ISOs.

Of course you must add the x86 and x64 USB to ethernet drivers to the respective boot media.

As far as PXE is concerned, we have not resigned the 2007 PXE and replaced it with 2012 PXE (cant coexist on same subnets easily, and not at all on other subnets due to the limitations of the IP helpers setup on routers) so my experience is limited - We have built all our machines using USB boot media, it worked without issues once the pen drives were setup correct*. But from my home lab; firstly the USB ethernet device MUST support EFI PXE, not just old style BIOS (?) PXE. I dont think that all do. Other than that, i think it should just work (i hate it when people say that!). If you have had any specific PXE issues, let me know and i might be able to help.

* A really useful tip for the USB boot media (might be obvious to some of you!!), is create a folder and stick the contents from all your ISO's in sub folders, then all you need to do is move the files to the root when you want to use those boot files, and obviously move existing ones back to their subfolder when not needed (so you dont overwrite). Saves repeated copying the files from PC each time you want to switch from x86 to x64 boot media.

Hey Mikey,

So far I've gotten the helix imaged using boot media just created from CM probably due to the helix containing both a legacy and UEFI BIOS. Luckily for me management liked the helix better than the Tab2. I contacted Lenovo to ask about the PXE boot and the impression they gave me is that these devices will boot PXE from the USB to Ethernet as long as it's a Lenovo adapter. After reading your post i assume it may be because it supports EFI PXE.

I have our purchasing agent ordering a Lenovo USB to Ethernet adapter so I will report back my findings.

Thanks for the post, some good information there. Hopefully some others will post their experiences.