Jump to content


slimslickncom

Failed to run Task Sequence

Recommended Posts

We have currently stood up an SCCM 2012 SP1 CU2 Stand-alone primary site with remote a remote sql db. Everything is working correctly, but when we go to PXE boot and image computers, it is failing when starting the ts.

 

Receiving this error: "Failed to Run Task Sequence" - This task sequence cannot be run because the program files for <PKGID> (Config Mgr Client) cannot be located on a distribution point.

 

Any help would be appreciative as this is blowing up and stopping our imaging process.

 

Also, when we image machines it seems that the client isn't installing correctly, and showing up in devices as Unknown and not being assigned to the site.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone find an answer to this? I am running into the same problem. I have verified the boundaries are setup and verified the the software was on the distribution point. Mine is failing on the Config Manager Client Package and it does not give an option to copy files to DP. They are all greyed out. Suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything is set up properly, boundaries and boundary groups. This is a brand new build of SCCM 2012. Trying to work out the kinks before adding more to it, such as dist points, pxe service points, etc... This is not the only thing we are experiencing, but I don't want to go into full detail here about it. The clients are not registering.

 

This is an ongoing issue for us as well. One day it will work with no issues, and other days I have to manually re-distribute packages. I did find this in the ccmsetup.log file.

<![LOG[Task 'Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Task' does not exist]LOG]!><time="08:55:51.207+240" date="08-29-2013" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="0" thread="2648" file="wintask.cpp:571">

<![LOG[CcmSetup is exiting with return code 0]LOG]!><time="08:55:51.207+240" date="08-29-2013" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="1" thread="2648" file="ccmsetup.cpp:10540">

Everything is stopped after this, preventing it to run the rest of the task sequences.

 

In which pointed me to this technet article. I didn't attempt to try this yet, but if it comes down to it, I will.

Client auto-upgrade failing after client is installed via an OSD task sequence

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cf091a72-7a86-4e85-a2d3-b55094128364/client-autoupgrade-failing-after-client-is-installed-via-an-osd-task-sequence

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Mine is failing on the Config Manager Client Package and it does not give an option to copy files to DP. They are all greyed out. Suggestions?

 

Have you re-created a new client package from definition?

If you do this then you will have the option to copy to content share.

 

<![LOG[Task 'Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Task' does not exist]

 

Maybe you have not re-created the new client from definition also?

 

Everything is stopped after this, preventing it to run the rest of the task sequences

 

The client could be stuck in provisioning mode... (check regsitry), thus nothing else will work after i:e software updates, packages etc...

 

ClientProvisioning.PNG

 

Provisioningmode should be false and systemtaskexcludes should be blank also as seen in screenshot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Peter. Will check it out if it happens again. I am in the process of working with Microsoft on some other issues. Mainly, the clients are not registering. Rocket Man - I will try that again, as MS stated it was best to use the built in client package. I don't know if all this started when we applied SP1 CU2 but I don't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

as MS stated it was best to use the built in client package

 

But what if you want to use BITS instead of SMB.......the content needs to be on the content share otherwise you wont have the access all content from DP when running the task sequence option when configuring the Task Sequence (do you have this option without having the client package on the content share?). This method uses BITS otherwise you will have to download all content first which uses SMB(depending on network and number of units to build this could be very slow, but then you have multi-casting option also to overcome this)

You should try re-creating the client from definition and make sure to reference the new client in the task sequence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...