Tony Maneggio

Windows 7 Migration with USMT

I have to migrate my computers from windows xp to windows 7 via sccm 2012 sp1. The environment is about 300 clients (200 by computer-refresh while the remaining 100 by pc-change).

Regarding the refresh-computer I already have a fully functional TS with USMT Hard Link Migration that leave my userdata on the disk.

Now the doubts arise for the other 100 computer pc-change:

- how can I move through SCCM user data from a pc-old, copy them to the network share, install the pc-new and finally move user data to destination computer?

- is it possible with a single TS or in a single step with SCCM?

- how can I link the two computers procedures?

Many thanks,

Tony

post-20368-0-60377700-1376315780_thumb.jpg

I have almost completely given up on this idea, because there wasn't a particularly simple method to handle it.

The main way to do it is the way described in this post:

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6933-usmt-in-sccm-2012/

That means creating two task sequences, one capture and one restore.

Personally I want to give this method a go:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2011/09/01/replace-scenario-alternative-for-usmt-migration.aspx

At least that appears to remove some steps such as creating computer associations and the reliance of a SMP Role, which in turn would also be faster because files are copied directly to the computer.

If I had the time I'd work on a script that can probe the source computer from the destination computer to copy files and settings, thus only requiring one TS. Alternatively find a way to get USMT to do it. Haven't found anything yet!