afrancis

Applications install for one TS but not a newly created one

I have been working heavily on our implementation of SCCM in our corporate environment. We ran into a problem where I had to rebuild and fix the PXE option and it brought me to this site. I have been working on a Task Sequence for the past week or so. We originally had an outside company build the base server and set it up for us so all we had to do was maintenance, add new drivers, etc. Anyway, I am coming up with a new task sequence (tried to copy the one that works and apply it to a different collection), but the applications from the copied Task Sequence or the new one I created never installs applications. It's baffling to me. Here are one of the codes it provides. I am implementing a log capture when a job is successful or if it fails. You will notice that in one of those failed log files.

Policy Evaluation failed, hr=0x87d00267 InstallApplication 8/13/2013 11:59:02 AM 2260 (0x08D4)
Install application action failed: 'Symantec Endpoint Protection'. Error Code 0x87d00267 InstallApplication 8/13/2013 11:59:02 AM 2260 (0x08D4)

I will add in a zip file with more logs from the SMSTS folder on the client machine. Any help of what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

post-21174-0-73819700-1376492240_thumb.png

post-21174-0-63694800-1376492245_thumb.png

Sorry I didn't see your message before!

We are currently using the base installation of SCCM. We do not have SP1 installed due to a custom PKI package for offsite clients to communicate with our server. There is fear of the PKI client conversion breaking with the update.

We do not have CU1 or CU2 installed at the moment. I am looking into updating the server to CU2 now, but this is the first big project I have had. I just took a snapshot of the server and I am going to apply the update shortly.

I also appreciate the help. Thank you so much!

Update: I have successfully installed and deployed the SCCM 2012 CU2 update. I am going to start researching the upgrade to sp1. It would be nice to put some powershell scripts in the middle of the task sequence to accomplish some things we want to.

I left work after the upgrade, and I sent the task sequence to a computer. In the morning, I will check to see if the applications installed successfully and report back to this forum.

Update: I have successfully installed and deployed the SCCM 2012 CU2 update. I am going to start researching the upgrade to sp1. It would be nice to put some powershell scripts in the middle of the task sequence to accomplish some things we want to.

I left work after the upgrade, and I sent the task sequence to a computer. In the morning, I will check to see if the applications installed successfully and report back to this forum.

Do you mean you installed kb2780664 or kb2854009?

Also, I had a particular msi that i had packaged as an MSI which I could not get to work reliably consistently - it worked sometime on some machines sometimes, but not always (it was the Intel RST driver package and control panel).

In the end, after hours of testing, googling error messages, i gave up and created a Package/Program instead of an Application, it just works - seems that the new Applications are too new, not as road worthy as the old method...

My apologies. I installed KB2780664.

Do you deploy packages with Task Sequences? Sorry, I am still relatively new to all this stuff. I have successfully deployed packages to offsite computers, as well as computers internally.

Do most people install applications during the task sequence, or is there another method that is best practice? I am open to any and all suggestions.

Do most people install applications during the task sequence, or is there another method that is best practice? I am open to any and all suggestions.

It depends on your needs. Personally I use packages along with OSD as this suits my enviornment as we refresh machines each year and 99% of time is successful. I do use applications but only for use with the app catalog. specified users can then browse the catalog for available applications if they want, I leave it upto the user.

Had trouble getting some applications to install during OSD time, it just seemed to bypass them and the TS still showed as successful. This was on an SCCM2012 SP1 infrastructure. I have CU1 installed now and have not got back to try it again, to see if it has improved any.