Kazi

SCCM 2012 SP1 upgrade to CU3 corrupt install?

Hello everyone,

I have a single primary site server running Windows 2012 Server and SCCM 2012 SP1. We recently started imaging Windows 8.1 so I upgraded to CU3 in order to have Windows 8.1 support. I rolled the CU3 client to small test group for both the x64 and the x86 clients and it installed successfully. I only have about 350 total computers with multiple offsite locations connected via T-1 so after I verified all was good to go I deployed the CU3 upgrade to the x64 and x86 computers respectively. Since then I have had nothing but problems. I'm not sure if the CU3 .msp file somehow got corrupted during the push but 90% of my computers will not check in to the server. When I remote to a workstation or server and try to do a machine policy retrieval, I get the error message that the selected cycle cannot start. When I do a CTRL - ALT - DELETE, many times I see both processes "ccmsetup" and "ccmrepair" running. If I End Task on both of those processes and I run the .msp file manually, the CU3 update appears to install and the client becomes active again.

Since the clients are communicating with the server, I can't push the client again. Any ideas on what went wrong and how to fix it are greatly appreciated. I've been fighting with this for a few days now and I don't believe there is an easy solution.

Thanks in advance.

Had a similar problem with an upgrade to CU1... systems were not fully provisioned and the ccmsetup service was sky high in terms of memory demands etc.. Some clients were fine and the majority not. This was with both client pushes and OSD by specifying the path to the msp in the properties of the agent.

Ended up upgrading to R2 and enabling the Hierarchy auto upgrade function.... fixed the problem right away, clients were fully provisioned and talking sense again.

It is not an answer but it was definitely a solution to the problem.

Thanks for the reply Rocket Man... What I have done is I created a PowerShell script to reinstall the CU3 upgrade client. I have the computer names in a text document and I copy the .msp file from one of my servers to the local computer and then run the .msp file after it has been copied. Success is not 100% due to some computers with WinRM issues, but I would say I'm in the 90% success rate. To be honest I wasn't sure of the benefits of going to R2 instead of CU3... Maybe I'll try what you suggested after I get the CU3 mess straightened out and go from there.

Just follow up on this issue. I checked the registry but the clients did not appear to be in provisioning mode. I was able to reinstall the CU3 upgrade remotely using a PowerShell script I wrote reading my computer names from a text file. This allowed the client to run any and all evaluation / reporting cycles but my SCCM server continues to flood the network for some reason.

My current project is what you mentioned Rocket Man - I'm upgrading to R2. I'll let you know how it turns out.