hungryyeti

Public desktop icon suddenly trying to run the installer

Question

I install my application at my customer's sites on Windows 7, and the icon for it gets put in the C:\Users\Public\Desktop\ folder. Everything works fine.

Suddenly, at the beginning of the year, on about 1/4 of the installed machines, when the user tries to double click the icon, it's trying to run the path to the installer that installed it. The application exe still exists in its normal place, but the desktop icon is broken. It can be repointed back to the exe and then works fine, but I have no idea what could be causing it to get in this situation in the first place.

I can recreate the situation by installing the program, then deleting it, then double clicking the desktop icon. If I take away the user's right to execute the application the same thing happens.

What's so strange is that it's happening at a large number of computers at relatively the same time frame, but not all. This is also happening across several installed sites.

Has anyone ever seen this situation before or have any idea what could be causing it? Thank you so much in advance for any help, my googling skills have run out here.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet